Ten of The Best Christmas Movies on Netflix Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

As Thanksgiving comes to an end, we can officially (even though I know most of us have already been) begin celebrating Christmas and what better way to do so than a nice, sappy movie. Netflix has a large variety of Christmas movies for your next movie night, but here are ten of my all-time favorites on the streaming service. Of course, there is no particular order and if I could, I would binge them all in one day!

A Christmas Prince

This movie was released in 2017 and has since then become a series. A Christmas Prince is about a journalist who is trying to get the inside scoop on a prince who is about to become king, so she acts like the princess’ tutor, and ultimately gets a little more information than she expected in her investigation. This movie stars Rose Mclver, Ben Lamb, Honor Kneafsey and Alice Krige. The sequels to this one are titled “The Royal Wedding” and “The Royal Baby”. I have seen them all at least twice and highly recommend them for your next movie marathon. 

The Princess Switch

Continuing with the royal theme, this movie was released in 2018 and stars Vanessa Hudgens, Nick Sagar and Sam Palladio. This love story is about a princess who finds her look alike in Chicago. They agree to switch lives for a little but are surprised by what happens next. This movie does have a sequel titled “The Princess Switch 2: Switched Again” and the third movie of this series was released on November 18. Although I haven’t had time to watch it yet, I can already tell from the trailer it will be just as good as the first two. 

Christmas Wedding Planner

Released in 2017, this movie is about a wedding planner who is focusing on planning her cousin’s dream expensive wedding. When a private investigator turns up, it changes her life for the better. This sappy movie stars Jocelyn Hudon, Kelly Ruthereford, Stephan Huszar and Rebecca Dalton.

The Knight Before Christmas

Yet another love story, and with a medieval element this time! Starring yet again, “High School Musical” actress Vannessa Hudgens and Josh Whitehouse, this movie was released in 2019 and is about a medieval knight who has been sent to the present day for a mission, and he ends up getting very close with a highschool teacher who has given up on love. Although knights and medieval themes might be similar to royalty in some regard, I did love the new surprise element in this one!

Operation Christmas Drop

This military themed love story is a great new twist on Christmas rom-coms and was released in 2020. “Operation Christmas Drop” is about a congressional aide who has to visit a beachside air force base and clashes with a captain over his seasonal project. This movie stars “The Vampire Diaries” actress Kat Graham and Alexander Ludwig.

A New York Christmas Wedding

In this movie, an angel shows a bride-to-be what exactly would happen if she would confess her secret feelings for her childhood best friend. “A New York Christmas Wedding” features members of the queer, Black and Latinx community, which represents a huge step in stereotypical sappy Christmas movies. Released in 2020, this history-making movie stars Cooper Koch, Nia Fairweather and Adriana DeMeo. 

The Holiday

Although it may be the oldest movie on this list (released in 2006), it has some notable stars like “Titanic” actress Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, “The Office” actor John Krasinski and Kathryn Hahn. It is yet again another love story about two girls from two different worlds who are tired of failing in love. They decide to swap homes and lifestyles for a change, and end up finding some local lads who make their lives change forever.

Love Hard

Released very recently in early November of 2021, this rom-Com stars another “The Vampire Diaries” actress, Nina Dobrev, Darren Barnet and Jimmy O. Yang. The modern love story is about a Los Angeles writer who finds her perfect match on a dating app. She decides to fly 3,000 miles to surprise him for Christmas, only to find out that she has been catfished the entire time and is stuck in a small town for Christmas.

Snowbound For Christmas

This 2019 release is about a newly hired marketing director who is asked to join her boss on a trip to a resort to help with a pitch, but a snowstorm leaves them alone in a five-star hotel for 24 hours. This Christmas love story stars Henderson Wade, Zarrin Darnell-Martin and Josephine Buetther.

A California Christmas

The final movie on this list is set in a non-traditional Christmas setting and is the perfect movie to break the norms of Christmas movies. Starring in real-life lovers, Lauren and Josh Swickhard, this movie is about a wealthy charmer who acts like a ranch hand to get the stubborn family of the farm to agree to sell their land. The happy couple are accompanied by other notable stars like Amanda Detmer and David Del Rio. Released in 2020, this movie gives you the non-snowy, warm weather side of Christmas. 

Netflix is home to many Christmas movies and has lots of other options for you if you have seen all of these or want something different. I have watched all of these movies and 100% approve of them. I won’t lie, some of them are pretty cliche and are “basic” but are still worth a binge! 

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers