Students of Loyola: Scott Clancy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Scott Clancy is a senior history and communication studies double major from Pennsylvania. Since his freshman year, he has worked with the radio station WLUW (heard on 88.7 FM), broadcast out of Loyola. Now, as the Music Director at the station, he plays an instrumental role in the type of music that is played by the station’s DJs. 

Have you seen an evolution in the ways you approach listening to music since you got more heavily involved at the radio station?

In a way it hasn’t. I still have my all time favorites that I’ve stood by for years and will always love listening to, whose albums I learned every word to in high school and haven’t forgotten since but there have been some changes I’ve noticed too. For sure I’ve discovered new bands that I love today through WLUW. We get so much music sent to us every week and in listening to most of it I think I’ve learned how to recognize trends in music, who’s ripping off who, what styles seem to be making comebacks. Country and folk is making itself very present in indie music in 2019 after everyone wanted to sound like Mac Demarco. I’ve been able to recognize a lot of different styles and appreciate them even if it’s not what I’d listen to myself.

If you could go to any music festival in the world with any person, where would you go, who would you go with, and why?

Today, I’d love to go to the Primavera Sound Festival in Spain and I’d want to go with Bradford Cox. He’s the frontman of Deerhunter, a favorite band of mine. I have such a great love and appreciation for him, his music, and what he’s represented for me for a long time. Every year the lineup looks phenomenal and he’s described the fest as his “happy place,” and I would love to be able to be there with an artist who I respect so much.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.