This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Nisrin Mazlumovic, 21, is a senior multimedia journalism major, concentrating in digital and visual journalism, and marketing minor. Since the age of 15, she’s been taking the modeling world by storm.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a model?

Growing up, I had far from a picture-perfect life. I was raised by my mother — a single parent — and my grandmother. At age 1, we packed up everything we had and came to the United States in hopes that my mother would be able to create a better life for us, and future for me. Coming from Bosnia and Herzegovina was far from an easy transition for my family. We did not speak a word of English and had to adapt to an entirely different culture. 

My passion for modeling similarly began at a very young age. At age 5, my grandmother and I made it a point to sit down and watch “America’s Next Top Model” together every week. I then quickly realized that this was something I wanted to pursue when I grew up. My biggest role model was Tyra Banks, who I wanted to be just like. 

Around age 10, my mom and I finally decided to attempt to turn my dreams into a reality. My mom submitted me to castings, auditions and modeling schools, all of which turned me down for the next five years. 

At 15, I decided I was willing to try again. After two intense rounds of auditions for a modeling and acting school — which I previously was rejected from — I was finally accepted. However, there was a catch. We learned quickly that nothing came free or easy, as the school was asking for thousands of dollars to on-board me in the program. My mom wouldn’t back down. She spent days and nights working and saved up every penny for me to get the experience and training I needed. Quickly, it paid off. Months into the program, I attended a casting for BMG Models and was scouted by the global director. In a matter of minutes, I got offered a contract.

What have you been working on since being casted by BMG Models?

Since then, I have stayed with BMG and continued to work for them, and later also joined the Dream Team Models at 16. I have done everything from editorial work to print to runway and more. My favorite has always been working with prom and bridal lines, and being able to play dress-up for hours. 

I’ve been fortunate enough to travel and work for a variety of special occasion lines in marts across the country. I’ve been featured on websites, in magazines such as Bridal Buyer and even walked for a Macy’s runway show. 

As I get older, I hope to continue pursuing modeling and eventually make the move to a major city like New York, L.A. or Miami and continue working post-college. For now, I take every opportunity that comes my way, and I embrace the crazy, jam-packed lifestyle that comes with working in the industry and going to school at the same time.

Samar is a senior broadcast journalism major and global and international studies minor at Loyola. Although she hails from Toledo, Ohio, Samar has found homes in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Rome. She has spent the past three years with Her Campus, sharing her insights on politics, women's issues, as well as beauty and lifestyle hacks.  
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.