This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Students of Loyola: a take on the very exciting, emotional, and raw, “Humans of New York.” We want to capture the students at Loyola in a way that has not been done before. We want people’s joy and struggles to be out there, without forcing anything too much.

Meet Laura Martinez:

Jacky James: Tell me a little bit about yourself!

Laura Martinez: Right now I am finishing my junior year as a double major in Political Science and Global and International Studies with a French language minor. I actually started as a nursing major, but once I realized I could never love chemistry, I switched to poli sci which has been the best decision I’ve ever made. I was recently awarded a Provost Fellowship for my research on conflict resolution in Colombia which has made my rocky college journey all worth it.

JJ: What is one piece of advice you wish you could give to your freshman year self?

LM: I would sit my freshman year self down for a week and give her advice if I could. College can be really hard and the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that you can’t plan everything out. You need to let life take its course and find opportunities and silver linings on the way. I had things planned out very specifically when I started college. My life has taken a lot of turns since then, but I’m very proud of everything I’ve made it through and I wouldn’t want things any other way.

JJ: What is your dream job/biggest career goal?

LM: I know my calling is to advocate for people. I want my career in international relations and political science to reflect that wherever it might lead me.

JJ: What are you most passionate about?

LM: This is going to sound redundant, but politics. I know it can be depressing and time-consuming to keep up with the news, but staying informed is so crucial especially in the current political climate.

Jacky is a senior at Loyola University Chicago. Although she is a Molecular/Cellular Neuroscience major and hopes to work as a psychiatrist in the future, she loves to write, draw and paint in her free time. This year, she is the treasurer and an editor for the HerCampus LUC chapter. 
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.