Style

Simple Group Costume Ideas Your Roommates Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Halloween is among the many things that are going to look a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have fun with it!

Even if you’re just watching spooky movies or eating fun fall treats with your roommates, group costumes are a simple, easy way to add a little festive fun to your night.

Here are just a few simple group costume ideas to spice up your Halloween this year!

1. Rockford Peaches from A League of Their Own

Arguably one of the most iconic movies ever made (You know the line “There’s no crying in baseball”? Yep, that’s this movie.), these costumes are bound to get you some amazing photo ops. 

You could dish out the dough to buy a premade costume, but luckily they’re also fairly simple to recreate yourself. All you need is a light pink t-shirt dress, a baseball hat, a red belt and red knee-high socks! If you really want to get into it, you can make some iron-on patches of the team logo, draw a number on the back of your “uniform” or thrift some accessories like a baseball mitt or an old-school wooden bat.

This group idea is also great because there’s no specific number you need. Whether you have two roommates or six, everyone can be a Peach!

2. Zootopia

If you can snag some fake bunny or fox ears from a costume store (or make your own if you’re feeling crafty), you’re basically set to be Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde from Disney’s Zootopia! Almost all the animals in the movie wear normal human clothes, so costumes are a breeze.

For Nick Wilde, all you need is a button down collared shirt (preferably green, but get creative with what you’ve got!), a tie and some khaki pants.

For Judy Hopps, you’ll just need some blue leggings or skinny jeans and a blue long sleeve layered under a black cropped tank top. Add a black belt, a police officer badge and some knee pads to really nail the look.

Depending on how many roommates you have, you can add any of the other characters — like Mayor Bellwether or pop star Gazelle — to your ensemble! 

3. One Direction

If you’ve got black skinny jeans, you’ve got most of a One Direction costume ready to go. Though the band’s style evolved throughout their five years of fame, black jeans were a staple for most of their career.

Pair your black jeans with a baseball tee to be Louis, a button down for Harry, a denim jacket for Liam, a varsity jacket for Niall or a leather jacket for Zayn. If you’re feeling extra spunky, you could even use washable marker or paint to give yourself some of their most iconic tattoos.

This group costume works best with five people (or four, but we won’t go there…) and lends especially nicely to a fun night of karaoke!

4. Phineas and Ferb

The Phineas and Ferb crew also makes for a great group costume idea since they wear fairly simple clothes, but they’re so iconic everyone is sure to know who you are!

A simple orange striped shirt and jean shorts completes a Phineas costume, though Ferb is a bit more difficult with his purple high-waisted pants.

Snag a white skirt and red tank for Candace, bust out your overalls for Baljeet or go for Vanessa’s all-black-everything look.

The show has a pretty large list of characters, so you can easily accommodate as many roommates as you’ve got!

The best part about Halloween costumes is getting creative, and the best costumes are the ones you can make using pieces you already have in your closet.

Hopefully these ideas  get your creativity flowing and help you and your roommates get in the Halloween spirit!

Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.
Ellie is an Assistant Social Media Editor for Her Campus, College Fashionista and Spoon University. An avid coffee drinker and TikTok enthusiast, she is passionate about all things social justice and exploring the city of Chicago.