A Senior’s Reflection on Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

All good things must come to an end, and senior year of college is certainly one of those bittersweet experiences. College is a learning experience in more ways than one, and while I am a big proponent of taking advantage of all the social aspects college has to offer, it is important to set yourself up for success upon graduation—which should help lessen the blow of reality when your time in college inevitably comes to an end. As a senior reflecting back on my experience thus far, there are many things I wish I could tell my younger self to have better prepared me for college and, hopefully, postgraduate success.

Don’t freak out about not declaring a major right away.

I had big dreams when I was younger. I was set on being a meteorologist or an astrophysicist, and then reality set in when I realized I sucked at science. Going away to school, I felt pressure from everyone around me who seemed to know exactly what they wanted to do while enduring judgment from even random strangers who told me “your parents must be crazy paying for you to be undecided,” so I freaked and picked a major. I don’t advise this. I was lucky my hasty decision led me to inadvertently find my niche, but don’t let pressure from others result in choosing an area of study you will later regret. Of course it’s also not smart to wait until the last minute or change your major several times, but not panicking and taking classes in areas that even remotely interest you can help narrow down your options. Not to mention you will quite possibly end up doing something that isn’t even related your degree, which I am experiencing already, and I haven’t even graduated yet.

Don’t make a habit of skipping class.

As a freshman, not going out on a Thursday night seems unfathomable. Even more unfathomable is that in a couple years, you will most likely desire nothing more than to stay in on Thursday nights. In those early years it seems like such a crime that classes would even be offered on Fridays, let alone in the morning. Now looking back on it, skipping Friday classes (or any day for that matter) because of a hangover or any other insignificant reason is irresponsible. If you made the choice to go out on a school night and drink as much as you did, it’s a copout to skip class to lie in bed nursing your hangover while watching Netflix all day. I am not saying don’t go out or be social, and there are definitely times when missing class is absolutely necessary, but don’t make a habit of skipping early on. Not to mention the fact that later in life it’s not tolerated if you miss work for reasons such as this. Even if it’s an easy course, skipping class consistently can hinder you from getting the high grade you’re capable of—the high grade that boosts your GPA, helping you down the road when classes actually get hard. You and/or your parents are paying a lot for you to go to school, so don’t skip classes for stupid reasons. Think of it this way, if it weren’t for school, you wouldn’t even have had the opportunity to go out on a weeknight in the first place—so remember you have to do the school part in order to do the social part.

Get involved.

Getting involved is not only a great way to meet people, but it also helps you better understand what you enjoy and what your strengths are. Sure, as a freshman it’s overwhelming walking around the organization fair seeing everything your school has to offer. You might also experience an inner struggle wanting and knowing you should get involved, but then deciding there is plenty of time for that responsibility later. Just do yourself a favor and if something sparks your interest, take the initiative and get involved as a freshman. It’s intimidating to try something new alone, but stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things is what college is all about after all, right? Aside from the social benefits joining an organization provides you with, it’s also a great opportunity for networking and leadership experience. Being involved and holding leadership positions are great talking points in any interview because as college students, we may find it difficult to land relevant “work” experience, so it’s the closest thing to it giving you a leg up.

Get organized.

It doesn’t matter who you are or how well you perfected the art of bullshitting in high school, you are in for a rude awakening when you get to college. Going away to school is a big change in anyone’s life, and it takes some adjusting to. Make your life easier by getting and staying organized. Organization should be applied to both your living situation as well as anything academic or extracurricular. Mastering the art of organization can significantly reduce unnecessary stress. Procrastination is something we’re all guilty of, and a lot of it has to do with lack of organization.

Be proactive.

This is probably one of the most useful pieces of advice I could give to anyone in college. Independence is something we all relish once we go away to school, but it can be a double-edged sword. Professors will not hold your hand or willingly offer help if you are struggling in a class. It is now entirely your responsibility to seek out the necessary help if you are failing. Don’t wait until it’s too late to make a change; everyone struggles at some point or another in college, but it’s how you handle it that defines who you are. Apply this to every area of you life as well. If you have this mentality for classes, internships, getting involved, etc. you will go very far. If you are going to have regrets, don’t let them be because you didn’t do something you wanted to—within reason of course.

Mandaline is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying International Business and Marketing at the Quinlan School of Business. You are most likely to find her running along the Lakeshore Path, trying out a new local restaurant in the city, or promoting Her Campus LUC on campus!  Mandaline is thrilled to be one of the co-founders of Her Campus LUC and  hopes that everyone enjoys the fantastic community that is Her Campus!