This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

After taking a break from releasing music, Selena Gomez is back at it again and hitting us with all the feels we experienced from “The Heart Wants What It Wants.” In her new songs, Gomez is vulnerable and honest about the pain she has endured but also sheds light on the positivity and hope she now cultivates and wishes to bring into her future.

On Oct. 23, Gomez released her single “Lose You To Love Me,” a heart-wrenching and emotional ballad she wrote just over a year ago. It’s about heartbreak, loss and dealing with it– as painful as it may be. Gomez stated that although she wrote it months ago, she felt that refraining to release it would feel inauthentic and dishonest. “I just wanted to validate all of those feelings because they were extremely real to me,” she told Ryan Secrest in an interview. 

The song did fabulously on the Billboard Hot 100, rising to #15 in its first week. Gomez simultaneously released a music video to accompany the song; a black and white masterpiece shot entirely on the latest iPhone.  “It was honestly just an experiment to see if it’d work,” she admitted. And it sure did! The video looks nothing less of professional camera quality and currently holds more than 94 million views on Youtube. You go Selena!

Just 24 hours after the release of “Lose You To Love Me,” Gomez would surprise her fans with another new song and accompanying music video entitled “Look At Her Now.” The song is empowering, up-tempo and colorful. Gomez describes it as a “celebration song.”  The music video features her killer dance moves and also some pretty killer hair. I mean check out the two-toned ponytail. It’s bomb.

On the Zach Sang Show she said it was a “perfect way to wrap up a chapter.” She further explained that she wanted to express the sorrow and vulnerability in her heartbreak but also the positivity of her new journey. Recently, she went on Instagram live to personally thank her fans who have “always been so supportive” and are there for her amidst the chaos of her life. As for the rest of Gomez’s album, get excited because, according to Gomez, it’s unlike anything she’s ever released before. “It’s just me having a really good time talking about real things and vulnerability and strength.”

Gomez’s new music proves her resiliency and demonstrates her passion to use her lowest moments to inspire and fuel art. I cannot wait to hear what else she has in store!

Kayla Kalu

Loyola '23

Kayla is a LUC sophomore studying marketing. She is a lover of yearly 2000's fashion, Christopher Nolan films, and Italian food.
Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.