Style

Our Thrift Haul & Fall Look Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

October is here! The leaves are crunching! The weather is cooling! It’s time to switch out your wardrobes and reconnect with your fall pieces. We here at Her Campus could not be more excited for it. To celebrate, we went on a group thrifting trip to Village Discount Outlet, here in Chicago. For this trip, we were looking for the more transitional pieces that could bring us into fall, while still keeping us comfy in the unpredictable Chicago weather. And by the end of the day, we had, dare we say, a haul! Check out some of our favorite clothing items that we scored at the thrift store, here: 

Just because the weather is getting colder does not mean that we have to put away our skirts! These, which are velvety and thicker, are perfect for keeping you as warm as it keeps you stylish. Pair with a turtleneck, tights, and booties for a complete look that screams “city girl!” 

Quarter-zips are no longer just for suburban dads! Grab a patterned one, or tuck a more solid one into jeans. Throw your hair up into a scrunchie, pair with some glasses, and let your cabin socks peek out of your boots for the full vsco-girl look (which, by the way, we fully endorse)! 

Look the boss woman you are with a blazer! A dressier option, a vintage blazer can be toned down with nice jeans and a turtleneck – perfect for that in class presentation or even an instagrammable-worthy coffee date. You can also crush your interviews in a schoolgirl-inspired look with a statement blazer (may we suggest plaid?!) overtop of a muted sweater!

Mock necks and turtlenecks? We are here for it!! Perfect on their own, thrown under a jean jacket, or paired underneath another sweater, they’re as versatile as they are cozy. Tuck into a skirt or wear with some patterned pants and you’ve got your new favorite outfit that never truly goes out of style.

What’s more cozy than a nice fuzzy sweater?! This fall, dress one up with faux leather pants for a concert or date-night look, or throw on some sweatpants for the perfect lounging outfit. You’ll be as snuggly as you look, and who can resist that?! Maroon, besides showing off that Rambler pride, is the perfect fall color! Pick up a velvet shirt for a dressy night or find a sweater to throw on with leggings and a scrunchie. It may be the color that never truly goes out of style, but we’re planning on taking full advantage of it during fall – its peak season!

It’s finally time to pull out your jackets and vests! This season, we are loving tan outerwear for a more muted, city-girl-chic look! Pop on your favorite lipstick and pair with a quintessential fall color, such as black or olive green, for a classic look that’s still as modern and fresh as you are.

And what would a look be without the perfect shoes?! Flats are still catching our eye, especially before the snow sets in. This season, neutrals can be paired with dark, earthier colors for a professional look that’s still cute, fun, and modern! 

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.