ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Madrid Diary: My Week Through Pictures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Madrid is by far one of the most picturesque places that I have traveled to. This city has transformed from being the center of one of the most powerful and traditional empires in history, to becoming a very progressive, contemporary, and bustling metropolis. From its “Golden Age” of extreme wealth and territory, to influences from monarchies, dictatorship, wars, religion, and art, the people of Madrid encompass all of its intricate history within its museums, streets, culture, and lifestyle. Here are some of my favorite moments that I have captured this week.

Chopper Monster, a clothing store, in the trendy Malasaña neighborhood.

Museo Municipal de Historia.

La Manifestación del 8M en Madrid, Women’s March. Interestingly, the men-to-women ratio present at the march seemed fifty-fifty, something quite uncommon in the United States.

Chocolate con Churros, at San Ginés of course!

Moments from around my neighborhood in Malasaña.

Watching the sunset turn into nighttime at the Royal Palace.

Meeting up with Jessica Caramay, a Loyola sophomore visiting from the John Felice Rome Center.

Live music at El Rastro, flea market.

The works of Raphael, at Museo del Prado.

To live like the real Madrileños, you must slow down and enjoy every moment of life. With so much beauty in this city, it is impossible not to do so. The captivating mix of old and new makes Madrid uniquely breathtaking, and each day here only makes me love this city more.

Arwa Madhwala is a senior at Loyola University Chicago. She is majoring in finance and minoring in Arabic. Arwa is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, and enjoys being involved on Loyola's campus with her sisters.
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.