This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

At the start of this year, I made it my goal to read at least one book each month. At first I knew exactly what book I wanted to read for the month of January. However, for the month of February I was unsure what book would catch my eye. That is when I stumbled upon the February Book of the Month for Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club: The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse. I was immediately hooked by this newly published book because of the hope that it would take me on a mysterious journey where I was constantly wondering where the chapters would end up. After last month’s book, The Woman in Cabin 10, I was worried that I would not be as captivated with The Sanatorium as I was with my January book. However, I was completely wrong. This book was just as thrilling and mysterious as The Woman in Cabin 10. Not only was I captivated with the storyline of this book, but the character development and description of the scenery drew me in even further. 

The Santorium is about a woman, Elin, who takes a trip to the Swiss Alps to celebrate her brother’s engagement. The hotel that she stays at, is a former Sanatorium that was recently converted into a luxury hotel. However, after someone goes missing, an avalanche locks everyone in the hotel and makes it impossible for the police to come and investigate the mystery. Luckily, Elin used to be a detective and decides to take matters into her own hands. As she faces the problems of her past, she is set on finding out what has happened. You will be taken on a journey that makes you question what the people of her past have done and who is involved with the problem that is centered around the hotel and its history. 

One of the many reasons why I absolutely loved this book is because of the short chapters. Similar to what I talked about in my January Book Review, reading a book with short chapters makes it easier for me to stay interested in the plot and not feel like it is taking me forever to get through the book. It also helps that this book had a plot that advanced extremely well, which allowed the reader to be involved in the whole process of trying to discover who was involved in the disappearances. Sarah Pearse made me fall in love with The Sanatorium because of the fact that the book was different from what I have read in the past. Not only did it combine my love for thrillers and mysteries, but it also gave me a new plot to think about how the past can impact the present and the future. After reading this book, I would rate it as a 10/10 and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a thriller that will keep you on your toes!

My February Book of the Month
Original photo by Gabrielle Dolbin

Gabrielle is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying Nursing. She grew up in Dublin, Ohio and has always had a love for writing and traveling. When Gabrielle isn't studying for her classes, she can be found trying new coffee shops around the city of Chicago, watching Netflix and finding new recipes to bake.
Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.