Loyola Faculty on Strike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 73 went on a day-long strike April 4, demanding job security, benefits and higher pay for the 360 full- and part-time not-tenure-track (NTT) faculty members they represent at Loyola University Chicago.

The faculty on strike are from the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) as well as the English Language Learning Program (ELLP). After bargaining negotiations April 2, the university conceded on some issues, such as pay and benefits, but did not resolve the issue of the management rights clause in their contract, according to Julie Fiorelli, lecturer at Loyola.

Fiorelli said the modifications to the clause would “disable the operation of the union” and “leave us very vulnerable.”

The management rights provision that was discussed said the “University has the right to operate the University solely at its discretion,” according to the Office of the Provost.

“Everything was pretty much settled except for this one thing,” said Nate Hoks. He said he was a part-time lecturer at Loyola, however his name is not listed on Loyola’s website.

“The only way to win our contract is by holding the University accountable to its social justice mission in a public and consequential sphere. Since they will not listen, we will amplify our voices together and make ourselves heard by going on strike,” said Alyson Paige Warren, English instructor at Loyola, in an email to colleagues.

Margaret Faut Callahan, acting Provost for Loyola, emailed the Loyola Community roughly one hour after the strike with supposed corrections to the strikers complaints.

“The University did not introduce any new contract provisions around management rights during the April 2 session—which is one of the reasons the Union has stated as the basis for its strike,” Callahan said.

The strike began at 8 a.m. with protesters stationed at various spots on the lakeshore campus, such as the “quad” in front of the Information Commons, in front of Mundelein Center and on Sheridan Rd underneath the CTA Red Line.

At noon, a rally took place. One speaker led those in attendance in singing the union song with the words “solidarity for everyone / solidarity forever.”

There was then a march through campus, and through Damen student center.

The university attempted to dissuade students from attending the strike in favor of going to class.

“I want to be very clear that Loyola does not want a strike and we are eager to continue negotiations to reach an agreement,” said Loyola University Chicago President Jo Ann Rooney in an email to students, sent April 3.

In the same email, Dr. Rooney listed the proposals the university made at Monday’s bargaining negotiations:

• Significant pay increases for all SEIU-represented faculty, which would make Loyola CAS non-tenure-track faculty among the highest paid non-tenured faculty in Chicagoland;

• A very significant 33–35 percent increase to the standard per credit hour rate for part-time CAS instructors;

• Annual merit raises for SEIU-represented faculty, consistent with those earned by tenured and tenure-track faculty;

• Longer appointments for both full-time and part-time unionized faculty;

• A new classification of part-time faculty, known as “Adjunct Instructors,” which would come with a pay raise and a two-year appointment; and

• Creation of a professional development fund specifically for unionized faculty.

However, the strike still ensued, lasting until 4 p.m.

Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.