Culture > News

This Iconic Chicago Bookstore is Ready for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

In Andersonville, a local icon stands as a national anomaly. Women and Children First Bookstore is one of the only independent feminist bookstores left in North America, despite a national trend of declining stores, both independent and mega-chain.  

The store promotes feminist authors and texts and places a specific emphasis on local authors. Co-owner Sarah Hollenbeck says that niche model is what’s allowed them to not only beat the odds, but to thrive. 

“We find that we survived so many downward trends in bookselling because we really stayed firm and focused on our mission of being a feminist bookstore,” she said. “And that’s what’s saved us over and over again.” 

As the store moves into the busy shopping season, Shelby Kluver went to WCF to see how the store is feeling about the holiday shoppers. You can view the full story above.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.