This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic and the recent surge of the Delta variant has led to mask mandates across the nation. Following and adhering to these mandates have and will continue to save lives, as long as we all do our part to bring an end to this pandemic. For a lot of us, however, wearing a mask for prolonged periods of time can lead to breakouts and irritation. Not all hope is lost though – taking some extra steps and using the following tips can help combat maskne.

So, what causes maskne?

For a lot of people, maskne is developed due to clogged pores. When you wear a mask, things like sebum and dead skin cells can build up on the surface of your skin and block your pores. Sweat and humidity can also be trapped against your skin due to a mask, which makes you more prone to acne and irritation.

How to avoid maskne:

• Use a non-comedogenic moisturizer. 
    • Non-comedogenic products are created specially to avoid blocking pores. Using these products will allow your skin to breathe more while wearing a mask in public.
  • Try using a toner.
    • Toners are generally meant to remove any impurities left on your skin after washing and to balance your skin’s PH level. 
    • This can help to soothe the skin and strengthen it before you wear a mask again.
  • Apply a layer of moisturizer before putting on a mask.
    • This will help to hydrate your skin while also serving as a barrier between the mask and your skin.
  • Wash fabric masks regularly.
    • Because of how close masks are to our faces, it’s easy for them to hold onto bacteria and air pollution. Washing your mask regularly can help with keeping those elements away from the surface of your face.
    • You can throw your masks in with your laundry, or hand wash them with some detergent and let them air dry.
  • If you are using a fabric mask, make sure that the material and size is right for you.
    • A mask should sit close to your face, but one that’s too tight can lead to friction and irritation.
    • Natural fabrics like cotton or hemp are naturally hypoallergenic, which can help with avoiding irritation.
  • Avoid wearing disposable masks through too many uses.

In the end, maskne can be difficult, but wearing a mask during the ongoing pandemic is essential to the lives of the people around us. Following the tips above can help to relieve skin problems, and if your maskne is severe or persists for extended periods of time, make sure to consult a healthcare provider or dermatologist.

Sofia is from Lincolnwood, a small village bordering Chicago. She is currently majoring in Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience at LUC, and wants to attend medical school after undergrad. Her hobbies include embroidering, reading, spending time with her family and friends, and exploring the city.