How to Spend a Winter in Colorado if You’re Not a Skier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

When I tell people I’m from Colorado, nine times out of ten their first inevitable question is “do you ski?” And while yes, I have skied before in my life, I’m not someone who actively partakes in the sport. The steep slopes and clunky ski boots just aren’t for me. So, that leaves me looking for other fun activities to do whenever I’m home in the winter.

Pamper Yourself at Spa of the Rockies

Located in Glenwood Springs, CO (just 25 minutes away from my hometown), the Spa of the Rockies is the place to go for a relaxing day soaking in their huge hot spring pool or receiving body treatments like facials or massages. The minerals in the water have been rumored to have healing properties dating centuries back to the first people living in the area. I can confirm that after a few hours bathing in the hot pool, my skin and nails seem noticeably healthier. 

Watch in Awe at the International Snow Sculpture Championships

For the past 30 years, the town Breckenridge just on the West side of the Continental Divide hosts the International Snow Sculpture Championships. 16 teams of artists from all over the world spend 5 days hand-carving incredible sculptures out of 20-ton blocks of snow. Their creations are then displayed in late January for the public to take in and vote for their favorites.

Enjoy a Signature Cocktail or Gourmet Hot Chocolate at Frost Bar 

I’ll be the first to admit that the area where I grew up is not exactly rich with nightlife. However, Frost Bar, located inside The Sebastian hotel in Vail is a great place to get a bite to eat, a fancy cocktail, or a mug of decadent gourmet hot chocolate during the winter months. 

Give Dog Sledding a Go

Having tried this once myself, I can definitely say that it gives you quite the adrenaline rush. Just make sure to bundle up, as the cold air hitting your face can be pretty intense. Don’t forget to say “Mush!”

Christmas Tea at the Brown Palace

The Brown Palace is one of Denver’s most iconic hotels. During the Christmas season, guests can enjoy live holiday tunes played on the piano during afternoon tea—an age-old tradition at the hotel. Just be sure to make your reservations WAY in advance, as they fill up fast.

Ride the Santa Express on the Royal Gorge Railroad

Between November 14th and December 30th, the Royal Gorge Railroad in Cañon City, CO brings the Polar Express movie to life on their Santa Express train. Over 30,000 guests each year enjoy hot cocoa, cookies, and photo ops in their pajamas as the train carries them to Santa’s Village, where Santa Claus completes the journey by gifting each child a special holiday bell.

Visit the North Pole and Santa’s Workshop (Cascade, CO)

I bet you didn’t know that there was an entire Christmas-themed amusement park near Cascade, CO. Well, now that you do you can add it to your bucket list and look forward to browsing a variety of shops with unique toys and gifts, participating in over 25 rides and attractions, and meeting Santa himself—all while listening to nonstop Christmas tunes throughout the park. 

Take in the Aspen/Snowmass Winter X Games

More than 200 world-class winter sports athletes arrive in Aspen every year for the Winter X Games. Watch them compete in skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling & more events during the day, and then enjoy live concerts at night ranging from EDM and Pop to R&B and Reggae.

Make New Friends During Aprés Ski 

Finally, whether you actually ski or not, you can partake in the tradition of Aprés Ski (or after-ski) by enjoying food, drinks, and entertainment in the villages at the base of the mountains with the rest of the crowd. It’s basically an after party where everyone warms up, relaxes, and connects with others—friends and strangers alike.

Hannah is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying creative advertising and photography. She grew up in the Rocky Mountains near Vail, Colorado. Being surrounded by some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world is what inspired her to start taking up photography as a hobby. She tries to live by the quote "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time." Find her on instagram @h.rose1030!
Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.