How Rewatching the Vampire Diaries is Getting me in the Mood for Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

As September was drawing to a close I felt a hunger for the upcoming Halloween season. I found myself, along with my good friend, cozied up in her apartment living room with a bottle of red wine, contemplating how we could get in the spirit of spooky season. The red wine and curated Netflix “For You” section gave us the bright idea to rewatch our favorite show: The Vampire Diaries.

I had only just finished watching all eight seasons of the CW smash hit this past April while in quarantine, so I was excited to finally relive all of the supernatural drama. In the past, I have watched a lot of great TV shows, including Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, etc. All which I enjoyed as much as the next person, but none have compared to The Vampire Diaries. My roommate introduced me to the supernatural world of Mystic Falls last fall and I haven’t turned back since. 

If you’re unfamiliar with the show, it is basically a bunch of teenage vampires dealing with mystical creatures and evil vampire villains that pose a threat to their small town. Other than just vampires, the show includes werewolves and witches, along with other supernatural occurrences that you just can’t even fathom until you’re so deeply invested that you’ve already binged the first two seasons.

The plot of each season truly is a masterpiece, and like any other good teen drama/romance, there are many twists, turns and cliffhangers to keep you on the edge of your seat. Although the story line is great, the real reason that you’ll keep returning to the show is because of the connection that you form with the characters. Nina Dobrev plays the female lead, Elena Gilbert — a normal girl attending high school in Mystic Falls, who’s world changes drastically upon meeting the Salvatore brothers. Damon and Stefan Salvatore, played by Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, are 200-year-old vampire brothers attempting to hide their secret while living among the townspeople of Mystic Falls. These two have an on-screen chemistry that is unmatched, and their bond as brothers grows stronger throughout the seasons while they face adversity challenging other supernatural characters. Not to mention they are both insanely handsome, so that makes watching the show all the more enjoyable. 

If the Salvatore brothers’ dynamic relationship wasn’t enough to keep you coming back, just wait until you see the romance that they each share with Elena Gilbert. Although I might just be a hopelessly infatuated girl romanticising the idea of dating a 200-year-old vampire, I do think that the writers of the show do a fantastic job of creating beautiful love stories between the characters. During the seasons, Elena’s love and loyalty is tested as she must choose which Salvatore brother truly has her heart, leaving us all with one question: are you team Stefan or team Damon?!

I won’t go on to spoil who she chooses, or give any other important plot points away, but I will say that the special effects of the show, along with the constant battle between good and evil, make it the perfect show for you to watch this Halloween season. Definitely give The Vampire Diaries a chance the next time you’re looking for a spooky show to watch on Netflix!

Ellie is an Assistant Social Media Editor for Her Campus, College Fashionista and Spoon University. An avid coffee drinker and TikTok enthusiast, she is passionate about all things social justice and exploring the city of Chicago.