How A Poet’s Words Saved Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

I have never felt like I belonged.  Ever since I was young, I have felt a little different from everyone my age. I did not like the same thing my peers liked and I was usually happiest spending time with my grandma. Towards the end of high school and the first few years of college, I really did not like to party like a lot of my peers.  I liked the simpler things in life– traveling, spending a quiet night with my friends, going out to nice restaurant, and reading every book I could get my hands on. I had been through a lot more in my short twenty some years than most people do in a lifetime. Older people always said “she is wise beyond her years” and “she was born thirty.” Nonetheless, I always felt out of place.

A few years ago I came across a poet, Rupi Kaur,  whose words stopped me in my tracks. I had never felt more understood. It felt as though this person looked inside my mind and allowed words to flow out of her that I could never put down on paper. For the first time, I felt understood, welcomed, and not alone. Rupi Kaur has spoken to my soul. I was able to see her read her amazing poetry this past Monday at The Chicago Theater and was even more taken aback than when I sat in the comfort of my own home. I have added a few of my favorite quotes that have spoken to me and I hope they speak to you too.

If you haven’t already, read both her books Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers. They are provocative, gut wrenching, and so relatable. Her words saved me. I hope they do the same for you.

You can find her books here: https://www.amazon.com/Rupi-Kaur-Milk-honey-Flowers/dp/B077N7X1TV/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538709930&sr=8-4&keywords=rupi+kaur

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.