This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

February was full of premieres, love, classes and many more experiences for myself.  I can’t wait to see how my list grows after traveling for spring break and preparing for better weather in Chicago. Nonetheless, this month has come and gone already and here is a list of my current favorites. 

MOVIES/TV SHOWS:

Ginny and Georgia 

The second season of this Netflix show has been out since January 5 but I finally got the chance to watch it and I loved it. The show is based in New England about a dysfunctional family who is trying to run from their past and have a normal (ish) life full of high school drama, PTO meetings and so on. This season has more secrets and character backstories leaving the audience with many questions with a cliff-hanging ending. I must warn you, this season touches upon many hard to talk about topics so viewer discretion is advised. 

The Last of Us

My roommate is OBSESSED with Pedro Pascal so when “The Last of Us” was released, we added it to our nightly binge sessions. Based off of a video game that was first released in 2013, and has had many different editions since then, this series is found on HBOMax and is full of zombies. Although that usually isn’t my forte, I am still intrigued and am getting emotionally attached to characters and plots. Ultimately, the show is almost a mirror of COVID (creepy since it was released years before the outbreak) about an infection that has broken out and it has been ongoing for two decades.

OBX

I will never shut up about the truly amazing opportunity I had on Valentine’s night. With the third season being released on February 23 on Netflix, I went down the rabbit hole that is the actionpacked series. I rewatched other episodes and got deep into “PogueTok” full of edits and spoilers. This new season is full of twists and turns and many gasp-worthy moments and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. Although I haven’t finished the season in full yet, I can confidently say it’s worth a watch and good news – the series has been renewed for a fourth season! 

BEAUTY: 

Trader Joe’s Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Serum

Honestly, all of Trader Joe’s beauty products are slept on. I ran out of my Olaplex and just couldn’t come to terms with paying the hefty price again, so I found this gem on Facebook and have loved it ever since. It is the perfect dupe for the Olaplex oil hair serum if you don’t want to break the bank. The only piece of advice I have is that if you have finer hair, be sure to not apply more than a pea sized amount and avoid your front piece of hair as it can make it look greasy at times. 

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Eau de Parfum

I was gifted samples of this perfume from the collaboration/campaign HerCampus x YSL and they are the perfect size to take on the go to bars if you need a touch up. The smell has notes of vanilla but also a tad bit of coffee and florals. I’m not sure how to describe it, but it’s an aggressive smell but comes off delicate. It’s the perfect scent to smell good and feel bougie. On top of this, the packaging of the bottle is perfect and aesthetically pleasing for any person’s vibe. 

Lune + Aster Sheet Masks

These sheet masks come with different targeted results like hydration, nourishing, soothing, detox and many more. You can get a pack of multiple or buy just one. I have tried the hydration and nourish one and personally, I love the hydration one the most but both did their job. It’s the perfect way to pamper yourself in a hurry as it only takes 5-10 minutes to “rescue” the skin. This company also has a line of beauty products, and I haven’t had the chance to try those out but if they are as high quality and nice as the sheet masks, I’m sure I’ll love them. 

CHICAGO:

Trader Todd’s 

This karaoke bar is found right off the Belmont stop on the Red Line and is the perfect place for your next night out. The bar offers a variety of drink specials including margarita buckets and has two stages for you to belt out your favorite songs. The tiki themed bar is quite a popular destination for Chicagoans in the area, so be sure to get your name on the karaoke list as soon as you arrive to make sure you go. Aside from drinks, the bar offers a food menu as well. 

MUSIC:

Kelsea Ballerini EP and Short Film: “Rolling Up The Welcome Mat”

If I could scream my praise for Kelsea Ballerini, I would. I have been a fan of hers since Peter Pan and Homecoming Queen but her newest studio album, “Rolling Up The Welcome Mat” features six songs and comes with a six chapter short film. The inspiration for this album is the heart wrenching and hugely publicized divorce Ballerini went through in November of 2022. From beginning to end, the songs have specific details and are some of the most vulnerable lyrics the singer songwriter has ever produced. Even if the songs are about divorce and specific moments within her broken marriage, the songs still touch the audience and are oddly catchy. From what I can see on Tik Tok, many people are just now discovering Ballerini through this album and that’s something I love to see because she is genuinely an amazing person and deserves the love. 

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers