This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Is it just me, or are home gallery walls all the rage on Pinterest these days? When I was looking for apartment decor inspiration, I seemed to see them everywhere. 

I figured it was a sign, so I decided to create my own in my bedroom. I absolutely love the way it turned out, so I thought I would give some helpful tips on how to create your very own.

1. Select a space

Galleries are sure to add style to any wall, big or small, so pick a space you think could use some more personality. It could be a full wall in your family room, a small space in a hallway, or even across a corner in your bedroom.

2. Choose your style and purpose

The awesome part about gallery walls is that you have complete control. You can personalize it however you choose and create something that fits the personality of your room. 

Maybe you’re a photographer and want to display your photos, or you’re an artist and want to display your pieces. Maybe you’re not artistically inclined, but just found some cute free prints online that you want to use to add some variety to your room. Whatever the case may be, it’s good to think about what kind of gallery would best suit your space before you begin.

Keep in mind that gallery walls don’t have to be entirely pictures (or art, prints, etc.) either! You could incorporate some hanging plants, mirrors, and other wall decor pieces, too. Get creative and make it your own!

gallery wall
Photo by Jonny Caspari from Unsplash

3. Coordinate a theme (or don’t!)

I personally love when photo collections or art pieces (or whatever combination you choose) all fit together — and fit the room. In the gallery I curated for  my apartment bedroom, I chose a travel theme, so I hung photos I took from my semester abroad, as well as some travel-related paintings I made and prints that I found online.

While I love the coordination of them, you certainly don’t need one! Gallery walls can look just as stunning if they’re completely random — it all depends on what you want your wall to be.

4. Find your frames

Frames are another opportunity to get creative with your gallery. Do you want all the frames to be the same color, or do you want a variety? Do you want square frames, rectangle frames, or both? Maybe you don’t want frames at all — that’s okay, too! Opt for whatever fits your art and style best.

It’s best to pick your frames later in the process, so you already have an idea of the style you’re going for. Square frames are best for uniform, equally spaced galleries like this one, while rectangle frames are better for the more staggered look. 

5. Get hanging!

Once you’ve made all your creative decisions, it’s time to start assembling your gallery! It could be helpful to lay all your pieces out on a floor first, to get a better visual of how the wall will look, but it all depends on how confident you are. 

Whether you’re mounting your pieces to the wall or sticking them with some sort of adhesive, be sure it’s sturdy enough and won’t damage your wall. Once you’ve hung everything up, sit back and admire your work!

For some gallery wall inspiration to get you brainstorming, check out HCLUC’s Pinterest! Happy decorating!

Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.