Get to Know One of Our Campus Correspondents, Samantha Saliba ‘17!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Samantha Saliba is a senior public relations major here at Loyola, with minors in marketing and women & gender studies! I had the privilege of asking Sammi some questions about her experiences at Loyola, as well as throughout the city of Chicago. She definitely keeps busy!

As a campus correspondent for HC x LUC, Sammi works closely with fellow correspondent, Christy Vargas, to ensure that our publication is in the best shape! That includes creating publicity, making sure our chapter meets the necessary requirements and deadlines, in addition to producing interesting, applicable and fresh material for our site. She is a leader for our large team and contributes a lot of her time and energy for this group. A few years ago, Loyola had a chapter of HerCampus but once the campus correspondents graduated, the website was no longer updated. This is where Sammi comes in! HerCampus reached out to her and her friend who just graduated from Loyola this past spring. While she has her own blog, Sammi wanted to start a new project that would “show the talent of writers at Loyola.” HC x LUC has worked its way back up and is thriving once again on our campus!

(Sammi looking #flawless.)

Sammi hails from Cleveland, Ohio. I asked her how she found herself out here in Chicago. She went to an all girl’s Catholic high school that pushed its students to seek a similar education upon graduating. She had visited other schools in this area and then decided to visit Loyola, too. Needless to say, she instantly fell in love and after four years, she is “still loving it!” Since Sammi is graduating next semester, I wanted to know what her plans are for after graduation (ah yes, the dreaded question amongst college seniors). At first, she wanted to head straight to California in order to find a job in fashion public relations, but she’s not quite ready to leave Illinois yet! Sammi says, “moving across the country alone is a big move and I wanna get my feet wet in adulthood here first before I go somewhere that far (and expensive).”

As I mentioned before, Sammi is super busy doing all sorts of things on and off campus! She is a sister in the Alpha Delta Pi sorority (in addition to being their formal recruitment chair!), a sales associate at J.Crew downtown and a campaign model for 84Rockwell, a handbag company started right here in Chicago. She has had seven internships over the course of her (almost) four years at Loyola and although some were bad and some were good, Sammi learned more and more about what she wanted to do within public relations with each one. However, her favorite internship was one that she completed this summer at Luxury Garage Sale in Chicago!

(Top: Sammi poses during a shoot with 84Rockwell. Bottom: Sammi (right) represents her sorority with one of her sisters.)

A typical day for Sammi includes going to class, working, participating in extracurriculars and somehow maintaining a solid social life! She loves staying busy.  Sammi enjoys studying in the Harry Potter room in the Cudahy library (if you don’t know what this is, we highly recommend you check it out ASAP!) but she likes to go to the downtown campus to complete her work, too.

Finally, I asked Sammi who her celebrity crush is and she told me that she’s had a thing for Nick Jonas since she was seven! A couple years ago, she got the very special opportunity to meet him. She told me it was one of the best moments of her life and she just about died when he told her she looked great and had pretty eyes! How could you not be jealous of this experience…? Check out the pic of them below.

(Sammi and THE Nick Jonas)

And one last word of advice from Sammi for our new writers… “If you don’t think you are a good writer or if you think your ideas aren’t worth writing about. STOP THINKING THAT! We want everyone to write for us and share their ideas! It’s so important to share your voice with the world, so start at your campus! Start at Her Campus!”

I’d like to thank Sammi for answering these questions for me and for working so hard so we can have a successful chapter of HerCampus at Loyola. Get to know Sammi even more by joining our team! :)

Hayley Accola is a senior studying psychology and criminal justice at Loyola University Chicago. Hayley is a self-proclaimed nap queen and a crêpe enthusiast. You can find her watching funny cat videos, eating Nutella straight from the jar, or shopping downtown on any given day of the week. Find her on Instagram @hayleyaccola !
Samantha (Sammi) Saliba is currently a Junior at Loyola University Chicago studying Public Relations and Marketing. She is also the Co-President of Her Campus chapter at Loyola and is the blogger and brains behind ambitiouslifeofacitygirl.com! A member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Vice President of Loyola's Communications Honors Society and intern at a couple of companies, she never fails to stay busy and ambitious. Samantha aspires to one day own her own fashion PR firm in California, start a non- profit for sex-trafficking victims and have 75 puppies.