Get to Know Jenna and Sarah Garces ‘17, future Navy Nurses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Jenna and Sarah Garces are senior Loyola nursing majors and midshipmen in the Navy ROTC program at Northwestern, and have also been my very close friends for four years. I had the opportunity to talk with Jenna and Sarah about nursing, the Navy, and after graduation plans!

Why did you choose Loyola?

Jenna: Coming from the California bubble I had always known I wanted to go somewhere different and new for my college experience. Chicago, being a city and far away from San Diego, was exciting and made it the perfect place to put me out of my comfort zone.

Sarah: I actually originally committed to Loyola to run on the track team! However, with nursing I couldn’t manage training for both NROTC and D1 track so I ended up focusing on NROTC. Our mom is a Loyola University Chicago Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing alum; this school means a lot to me.

What made you want to become a nurse?

J: From a young age I remember seeing my mom, a NICU nurse, receiving Christmas cards and birthday invitations from patients’ families she cared for years ago. I thought that it must have been amazing to impact people so deeply and see them carry on in their own lives. Although I have other interests, when I look back on life I want the legacy I leave behind to be marked by my service to others.

S: Nursing has never been a question for me; I’ve wanted to become a nurse for as long as I can remember. I remember growing up dressing up in my mom’s scrubs and listening to her stories from work. She is a big inspiration for me. My passion is caring for people.

What made you want to join the Navy ROTC program?

J: I was influenced coming from a heavily military family, starting with my great uncle as General MacArthur’s scout, grandfather a sailor, mom a Navy nurse and dad an Army Field Artillery Officer. The Navy not only had taken care of my education but also provided me the opportunity to pursue my dreams entirely.

S: To serve my country and to care for those who have given everything to protect our way of life.

What has been the most rewarding clinical you’ve had so far and why?

J: This past summer I was able to work at Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) and rotate to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). To me, it was most rewarding to care for sick infants and truly appreciate the brevity of life. It is a privilege to work with families at a tough time and know that my care will help get them home.

S: Definitely my OB/mother baby clinical. One of the most gratifying feelings ever is handing a mother her swaddled newborn baby for the first time, after being with her for hours of labor.

You’re twins, both in the Navy and nursing program (#Twinning.) What do you like to do that you sister would never do?

J: One thing that is unique to my life and personality I would say is my spirituality. Yoga has been such a transformative experience and positive force in my life beyond just the physical aspects. I love to practice in my every day life whether it through asana (body posture), dhyana (meditation) or pranayama (breathing). I have taught yoga practice to my patients because of it’s many benefits and hope to use my passion and become a yoga teacher.

S: I like to lift, whereas she is more into yoga. Additionally, I’m into the arts; I like to sketch, watercolor paint, and play piano! Oh, and cats. I love cats.

Define your styles.

J: I would say my style is very bohemian. I love colors, patterns, flow-y and fun clothing. I definitely stay true to my SoCal roots down to my rainbow sandals and live in my ‘kinis whenever possible.

S: Urban and trendy. My style inspirations are Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid (basic, I know). My favorite color to wear is white, and I’m really into off the shoulder tops right now.

Where do you hope to be and what do you hope to be doing after graduation?

J: After graduation, I will be working at a military hospital such as NMCSD, Walter Reed Medical Center in D.C. or even abroad. I am very interested and open to going somewhere new and getting out of my comfort zone once again. For me, life is too short and the world is too big to just stay in one place.

S: I hope to be stationed in San Diego! Two paths I’m interested in are specializing in Emergency/Trauma, then after I would want to go FMF (Fleet Marine Force), which means I would be attached to a Marine unit, and deploy overseas with them. Or I’m looking at starting off in Labor and Delivery, and then for my second tour to get stationed in Europe. I also want to start my Masters program next year to become a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. 

As a senior what has been the best decisions you have made in college?

J: Looking back the most impactful decisions have been to go abroad and to join Kappa Kappa Gamma. Although I was not able to stay in the sorority due to my workload I made amazing friendships and memories that will always be major aspects of my time at Loyola. Also, studying abroad in Rome and traveling around Europe was the most life changing experience thus far. Not only was I immersed in rich culture; I discovered more about myself and ate lots of pasta. 

Huge thanks to my BFF’s for talking a little bit more about their experiences at Loyola and goals for the future!