Wellness > Mental Health

Foundations Dedicated to Suicide Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

September is National Suicide Prevention Month. All of us can help prevent suicide, but sometimes it’s daunting to know where to start.

Elyssa’s Mission

Located in Skokie, this foundation has been active since 2006 and focuses on teen suicide. They work to bring tangible, in-person support to schools in Chicagoland so that students, staff, and families can be better educated on the signs of at-risk teens and how to help them. Over the past 13 years, they have helped to educate over 400,000 students. The program they implement – known as “Signs of Suicide” or SOS – has been implemented in 200 Illinois middle and high schools. 

847-679-9181 | website

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Illinois Chapter

The AFSP is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to suicide prevention. They were founded in 1987 and have individual state chapters to better handle the unique ways in which suicide affects each state differently. When asked what their core values are, the organization lists “funding scientific research,” “educating the public about mental health and suicide prevention,” “advocating for public policies in mental health and suicide prevention,” and “supporting survivors of suicide loss and those affected by suicide.” The Illinois chapter is in Evanston and sponsors several walks and races throughout the year in order to raise money and awareness.

1-888-333-2377 | website

Iraqi Mutual Aid Society

The IMAS was founded to provide support for immigrants and refugees as they move to Chicago. Their goal is to “foster well-being and self-sufficiency for resettled refugees, and to use our multilingual and multicultural expertise to tailor our services to the unique needs of our clients– whom we serve regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, or family size.” One of their programs, in a partnership with Apna Ghar, specifically supports immigrants who have experienced gender violence. 

773-409-4597 | website

Hope For The Day

As Jonny Boucher, the founder and CEO of HFTD said, “If we are going to be proactive about mental health, we must meet people where they are and not where we expect them to be.” Through action, education, outreach and events, HFTD is dedicated to creating positive environments where resources can be both accessible and available. One of their projects, Sip of Hope, is the first coffee shop in the world that donates 100% of its proceeds to suicide prevention and education on mental health. 

website

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. To access the Crisis Text Line, text TALK to 741741. Whether you’re in need of help for yourself or a loved one, there are places to turn. You don’t walk alone.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.