Anna Schultz-Girls Smiling Hanging Out With Dog
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Five Stay-at-Home Activities to do With your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

1. Movie marathon

When was the last time you sat down and actually got invested in a good movie? I know it’s been a while for me, considering that my attention span is that of a goldfish after adopting my TikTok addiction. Sometimes stepping into the fantasy world of film can be just what you need to take a break from reality. Fortunately, there are so many good movie series out there to watch (or rewatch if you’ve already seen them)! My personal favorites are the movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the classic Wizarding World of Harry Potter. 

2. Bake your favorite dessert

You really can’t go wrong with a homemade dessert, even if it’s from a box! In the fall, I love making pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for my roommates and I. However, last week we tried something new and baked a chocolate chip cookie skillet, topped with our favorite strawberry cheesecake ice cream (can you say FOODGASM?!). If you’re not a big dessert person, try combining a salty or savory snack with something sweet. Popcorn and M&M’s is my favorite combo, and it’s the perfect snack for your movie marathon. 

3. Play a fun game, or better yet, create your own!

It can be so rewarding to take a break from staring at your phone and sit down with a good game. I got both Cards Against Humanity and We are Not Really Strangers as gifts for my birthday this summer, and my roommates and I play them all the time. If you’re not looking to spend a ton of money on a new game, I would recommend buying a deck of cards and Googling some fun card games to learn. Or, get creative and make your own! The sky’s the limit and you can even personalize your game with inside jokes that you and your roommates share. 

4. Impromptu dance party

I swear, an upbeat dance sesh has proven to raise my mood and release all the happy chemicals in my brain! This idea also gives you and your roommates a chance to get creative by curating your own dance playlists. Don’t forget to include those early 2000’s songs that make you feel like you’re in a teen coming of age movie. Once you’ve made your perfect playlist, blast the music, let loose, and dance to your heart’s content (just be sure not to disrupt your neighbors in the process)! 

5. Mix up a new cocktail/mocktail

Have you ever fantasized about being a bartender or mixologist? Now is your chance to learn! There are so many fun drink recipes out there, and many don’t require any mixology experience. Pinterest is definitely your best friend when it comes to finding new drinks to make. My roommates recently introduced me to a spicy margarita cocktail with honey and jalapeno, and let me tell you, it was like I was drinking from a restaurant cocktail menu. If tequila isn’t your thing, I recommend trying a cocktail with rum or flavored vodka. You can even blend frozen fruit, juice and your favorite alcohol for a delicious boozy smoothie! Or mix and match your favorite fruit juices with champagne or prosecco for a flight of different flavored mimosas.

No matter what activity you choose, I guarantee you can have fun inside if you set your mind to it. During these unprecedented times, it is so important to continue fostering genuine connections in whatever areas of your life that you can, including at home. I definitely lean on my roommates for support when I’m feeling the pandemic blues, and I encourage you all to do the same! My biggest piece of advice is to stay safe and stay healthy, but have fun doing it. 

Ellie is an Assistant Social Media Editor for Her Campus, College Fashionista and Spoon University. An avid coffee drinker and TikTok enthusiast, she is passionate about all things social justice and exploring the city of Chicago.