This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Women entering today’s workplace possess the ability to make change and let their voice be heard. Obtaining the courage to do so poses new trials and tribulations for ambitious women. As I continue to grasp ahold of my own passions and aspirations, the encouraging female voices in my life constantly serve as motivation. With the onset of Women’s History Month, I felt compelled to reflect back on my grandmother’s narrative to find inspiration. 

When Mrs. Drewes’ story began on September 19th, 1942, in rural Minnesota, the world was in no way her oyster. At this time, women were still pawns in the male’s game of chess. Women could not open their own bank accounts, receive credit cards, or serve on juries in all 50 states. Even at my grandma’s high school, they offered zero women’s sports. My grandma felt she excelled at sprinting, along with a few of her female classmates, and requested that the boy’s coach allow them to practice and compete under his supervision. This request baffled the coach, and he laughed and belittled them for even making such a ridiculous request. It was not until 17 years later that her school offered female sports.

As graduation grew near for my grandma, gender inequality became more apparent. Even a college qualifying ACT score, good grades, and a flawless record could not grant her attention from an advisor or teacher. Her father decided for her that she simply faced two options: teaching home economics or nursing. With limited guidance, my grandma entered the adult world in the dark to life’s boundless possibilities. With little interest in the sciences but a deep desire to learn, she took on nursing school and flunked out in the first year.

This defeat did not simply end her professional career. Instead, she left for the convent to continue her studies and become a sister. The emphasis on the humanities in the convent reignited her passion for caring for others. Although the sisters did not become her forever home, the education she received over three years inspired her to return to college on her own terms. She eventually fulfilled her goal of receiving a college degree in social work. 

She began working at a police station with individuals suffering from poverty, addiction, and mental illness. While seeing these public crises and gaining respect in her workplace, her confidence and political opinions developed. She became an advocate for human rights, volunteered on campaigns, protested, and actively gave back to her community. Although she first felt uncomfortable entering a predominantly male group of voices, she felt that lending a helping hand and an educated voice was far more important than her insecurities. With some encouragement from the mayor, she even found herself running for public office, where she served 8 years on her city council. No matter the opposition my grandmother faces, she continues to push herself to achieve what seemed impossible for women at the beginning of her lifetime. She credits her own achievements to another woman before her, her own mother. 

The adversities and experiences of generations past are unimaginable to me, but the strong and zealous women that come out on the other side are glaringly apparent. Women fight relentlessly for future women and that’s why this Women’s History Month, I want to celebrate the women breaking boundaries like my grandmother. They paved the way so that I can hem and haw over the 80 different college majors to choose from. So that I can work where, when, and how I want. So that I can be the boss and achieve more than they were capable of. Because with a community of strong women as my foundation, I can find my place. 

Lilli is a senior studying finance and Spanish at Loyola University Chicago. When not studying and spending time with friends, you can find her dancing, at the gym, or searching for the best cold brew in Chicago. In the future Lilli hopes to combine her passion for creativity and finance expertise to spend time traveling abroad.
Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.