This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Under the Picasso sculpture in Daley Plaza rises wooden houses and the smell of glühwin, signaling to Chicago that its beloved Christkindlmarket is back. As the city’s largest open-air Christmas festival, the Christkindlmarket is a cherished tradition that brings in vendors and attendees from across the world. On any given night of the market, hundreds of people can be found laughing and milling about. With something to peak anyone’s interest, it draws in both loyal festival goers and curious newcomers.

This year, the smell of pancakes, roasted nuts, stuffed pretzels and bratwurst will fill downtown Chicago from November 16 until December 24. It is inspired by one of the oldest holiday markets in the world, which began in Nuremberg, Germany in 1545. While the city’s own “Baby Jesus Market” has only been around for 22 years, it is special for those who live here. Beyond the iconic food, drink and gifts, the festival brings people together. It has quickly become one of the backbones of the city’s holiday customs and promises to stick around for many years to come.

Anthony and Beth are both from Chicago and enjoying the Christkindlmarket through a party bus tour.

Casey and Cassie came in from Minneapolis and think Chicago is a great weekend getaway.

Jen and Ben made the trek down from Northwestern for her first time visiting the market.

Bryan and Marti are taking some time out of finals week to go ice skating at Maggie Daley Park and enjoy the mulled wine at Christkindl.

Father and son, Marcelo and Gabriel, are from Brazil and checking out the market on their tour of the city.

Brittany, Jennifer, Neha, Susan and Leanza are trying the pulled pork as they check out the market after work.

Lauren and Jerry cheer during their traditional visit to the Christkindlmarket. They both live in Chicago and have enjoyed coming to the market for years.

Naomie, Dottie, Whetie, Shieenette and Kathy are celebrating their sixth year visiting the market together.

Issac and Georgina are both sophomores at DePaul University, but it is Georgina’s first time checking out the holiday market.

Both Loyola alumns, Mike and Steph are from the Chicago area and have been fans of the market for years.

Andy and Abby are both from the Chicago area, but he laughs that she is much more familiar with the market and is showing him all of the best booths.

Skate, Amelia and Spencer – a mix of current Loyola students and one alum – check out some of the intricately painted ornaments for sale.

Dragos, Doina and Mihai are originally from Romania but have lived in Chicago for several years. In the past five years they have been attending the Christkindlmarket, they have decided that the bratwurst is their favorite treat.

Rob, Crane and Andy all live in Chicago now, but originally hail from New Jersey, Florida and Minnesota.

Joselyn and Jessica are seniors at Columbia and try to make it to the market every year.

Morgan and Chelsea have only been in Chicago for a year (after they moved from Oregon and Kansas) but they have fallen in love with the city.

Matt and Kasia are both from Chicago, but it is only her second time exploring the Christkindlmarket.

Jess, Fiona and Hillary may be from New York and Michigan originally, but they all call Chicago home now.

Rachel, Cody and Natalie all graduated from colleges in Chicago and have enjoyed the market for several years.

Andrew, Waileen and John are meeting up with friends at the market. Waileen has been many times, after growing up in Chicago, and loves showing her friends around.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers. 
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.