Essential Oils: The Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Essential oils are big right now. You have probably seen them being used in personal care products like fragrance or skincare, or for use in the household. Over the summer, I had a super interesting and fun job at an all-natural beauty apothecary that sold essential oils, skincare and bodycare. The brand promised not to use any harsh chemicals or toxins in their products and even had a list of harmful ingredients that they vowed not to use. All products were vegan and cruelty free, too. All of the essential oils were derived from plants, leaves and herbs grown in 26 different countries all over the world and were sold individually or mixed in with the skin and body products. There are several different extraction methods, as well. It was such an eye-opening experience being introduced to the world of aromatherapy and I am here to share this information with you!

Just a few of the essential oils in my collection.

Essential oils have so many uses, it’s astonishing. There is much information online to sift through, so I thought to create a basic beginner’s guide for anyone that is interested in incorporating aromatherapy into their life and daily routine. Every other week, I will feature a new single-note essential oil or blend in hopes to educate you on its benefits! You’ll learn all about what the oil is good for, how to use it, and why you should be using it. Even though they are naturally derived products, it is still important to be cautious about how you’re using the oil in your routine. Otherwise, essential oils can wind up having some adverse effects.

Main Uses

There are two main ways that people use essential oils but the uses are endless. The first way is through the use of an ultrasonic aromatherapy diffuser. An ultrasonic diffuser has a small mechanism that vibrates and disperses the essential oil throughout the air. Diffusers are really easy to find in stores or online. Amazon has some really pretty and reasonably priced diffusers, but you can also score them at stores like Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, HomeGoods and Kohl’s. To use it, you just fill a small reservoir with water and add a few drops of the oil, turn it on, and bam! Your room is filled with small air particles that are carrying the scent and emitting it throughout the space you are in. The other great thing about essential oils is that they are very concentrated, so you only need 5-10 drops to have your average-sized room smelling pleasant for a couple hours. A little goes a long way!

The second most popular way essential oils are used is in application to the skin, either on your body or on your face. Remember how I said that essential oils were very concentrated? This is part of the reason why they can be unsafe. If you apply such a concentrated oil directly on your skin, it can irritate or even burn the skin. Because of this reason, dilution is recommended. If you are interested in applying an oil directly to your skin, you’ll want to dilute it with what is called a “carrier oil.” Some common carrier oils are coconut oil, almond oil, argan oil, jojoba oil and even olive oil. A common misconception is that you can dilute essential oils with water, but we know that water and oil do not mix, so water isn’t a suitable carrier. If you’re interested in applying an oil on your skin, be sure it is diluted or mixed into a lotion or body oil so you do not harm your skin.

One of my essential oil diffusers (I have three!) This one  changes colors and has a large water reservoir so I don’t have to refill it quite as often.

Top Five Oils

You may have heard a bit about essential oils before reading this, but this is only the beginning! The world of aromatherapy is huge and there is a lot to cover. For now, here are the top five most popular essential oils, often the first ones in a beginner’s collection:

• Lavender: calming, promotes sleep and relaxation

• Peppermint: helps with mental clarity and refreshing the mind

• Tea tree: a natural antiseptic that can help treat acne, wounds and infections

• Eucalyptus: a natural disinfectant that can help with respiratory issues and common cold

• Lemongrass: a natural insect repellent that also balances the mind and relieves stress

Stay tuned for more features on some of my favorite essential oils in my stockpile. If you’re interested in getting started, check out these websites. They sell some of my favorite essential oils, even though many other stores sell them, too. It is pretty easy to get started and integrate aromatherapy into your lifestyle!

Woolzies: https://woolzies.com/product-category/essential-oils/

Serene Living: http://serenelivingoils.com/products/singles/

Green Envee Organics: https://www.greenenvee.com/product-category/aromatherapy/essential-oils/essential-oil-singles/

NOW: https://www.nowfoods.com/essential-oils/essential-oils-all-products

SpaRoom: https://www.sparoom.com/product-category/essential-oils/

Hayley Accola is a senior studying psychology and criminal justice at Loyola University Chicago. Hayley is a self-proclaimed nap queen and a crêpe enthusiast. You can find her watching funny cat videos, eating Nutella straight from the jar, or shopping downtown on any given day of the week. Find her on Instagram @hayleyaccola !
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.