stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Essential Oils 101: Peppermint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Peppermint is perfect for more than just candy canes. Treat yourself to some festive aromatherapy this season after reading all of the benefits and uses for peppermint essential oil.

Aromatherapy

Peppermint is said to promote peaceful thoughts and mental focus when diffused. It has cooling properties, which contributes to easing stress, and calming the body both mentally and physically. Adding a few drops of peppermint oil to a hot bath can ease sore muscles and clarify skin. doTERRA lists peppermint oil as blending well with wild orange and frankincense for a festive midday refresher.

Health Benefits

Peppermint oil has a wide range of uses for both health and beauty. When ingested, it promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing, while also being useful for settling an upset stomach and aiding with proper digestion. Focused doses of the oil can potentially help cure UTI’s and relieve headaches as well. Peppermint can also be used as a natural bug repellant, especially with ants, flies, and other common household insects. And when it comes to the skin, it can also be a great toner and acne remedy if diluted with water. Other uses, of course, include oral health, as peppermint is the most common flavor for toothpaste.

Image by congerdesign from Pixabay 

Food & Beverages

I’m sure most people are familiar with some sort of peppermint flavored treat, whether that be candy, tea, ice cream or breath mints. The oil can be used as a natural flavor enhancer – just keep in mind that a little goes a long way, as it’s a very strong and pungent oil. Try it out as a holiday spin on a classic Moscow Mule with a couple drops added to your drink along with some fresh mint leaves. Another of my favorites is lamb roast with rosemary mint jelly – a popular traditional English dish that my dad likes to make around Christmas time.

Fun Facts
  • The Latin name for peppermint is Mentha Piperita

• The peppermint plant is a hybrid of water mint and spearmint

• Peppermint is one of the best selling essential oils

• It can be toxic when taken in very large doses (so be careful!)

• Peppermint makes a good odor neutralizer

Image by Jill Wellington from Pixabay 

Sources:

https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-peppermint-oil

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/spotlight-peppermint-oil

Hannah is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying creative advertising and photography. She grew up in the Rocky Mountains near Vail, Colorado. Being surrounded by some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world is what inspired her to start taking up photography as a hobby. She tries to live by the quote "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time." Find her on instagram @h.rose1030!
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.