This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

We’re not quite sure how it happens, but every year Valentine’s Day seems to creep up on us! And while flowers are always a solid backup option, sometimes you want to show a little more creativity. 

So, if you’re in a similar situation and freaking out (only slightly) about what to get your significant other, here are some full-proof gift ideas: 

New Slippers

It’s time to get cozy and domestic with a brand new pair of house slippers! Frankly, it’s a trend that more Americans need to be hopping on board with, as they help keep your house cleaner and the winter chill away. And for President’s Day, many retailers are having sales on footwear! Check out this sturdy pair from Clark’s or this chic quilted option from Parachute.

A Polaroid Camera 

Sure, you could take pictures together on your phones, but there’s something unbeatable about the memories created with a polaroid. It’s the perfect way to keep a moment displayed and is so darn cute!! Plus, film is easy to buy through Amazon, so you can keep snapping pics all day long. Check out all of the fun camera colors at Target and Urban Outfitters for a gift that’s sure to make your SO cheese.

A Weighted Blanket

You might not always be there to hold your SO as they drift off, but with a weighted blanket they can stay cozy and cuddled any night of the week! These babies have been proven to help with insomnia and relieve stress as a form of deep-weighted touch. It’s the gift that you might not want to give up! Find your own at retailers such as Amazon or Walmart.

An Indoor Garden Grower

Does your loved one have a green thumb but no natural light or indoor space to exercise it? Well, Amazon’s Click And Grow Smart Garden is the perfect solution! The LED lighting ensures that all plants and herbs can thrive – no matter the weather. This is also good for non-gardeners who want to try out something new.

A Couple Journal 

If your SO is into journaling or writing, this is the gift for them! Personalized “couple journals” are available through several online retailers and can help document your journey together. Try “The Story Of Us,” from Etsy, answer daily questions with “A Year Of Us,” from Target, or show you’re in it for the long haul with the three-year journal, “One Question a Day For You & Me,” from Amazon.

“Open When…” Letters

You don’t need to break the bank to show someone you care. Often times, it’s small, personal gestures that can mean the most. This Valentine’s Day, try writing letters for your SO. Each one can be placed in an envelope and labeled, “Open When…” with varying situations! Examples can include opening when sad, nervous, excited, going out, missing me, etc.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.