Champions on the Court and on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Read ahead to see what Loyola’s two Volleyball celebs, Jeff Jendryk and Ricky Gevis have to say about their experience on Team USA and of course…what they order at Chipotle…

• Positions?

• Jeff: middle blocker

• Ricky: opposite

• When did you start playing volleyball and why?

• Ricky: 10th grade. I was bored and looking for something to do when basketball season was over.

• Jeff: Freshman year in HS because my two older sisters played volleyball.

• What was the biggest transition from high school to college and college to USA?

• Jeff: speed of the game for both. everyone is bigger stronger quicker faster.

• Ricky: Speed for high school to college. From college to playing for the USA Team, the atmosphere changed a lot, the foreign players constantly play with a lot of passion and cheer extremely loud

• What was the process for getting on to team USA?

• Ricky: Well, I made a video.I made it on to the A-1 team and then I got a call from Dan Friend (head coach) after the final four asking if i wanted to move up to a higher team.  

• Jeff: I was on the team the year before but I had to send in a video of how I played my freshman year of college. The coaches knew my talent. They got back to us later with results. 21 people made it and they cut it down to 12.

• Where did you travel to play with team USA?

• Tijuana, Quebec, Canada is where the qualifier was in the beginning of the summer. We got second so we qualified to worlds which is the best 16 teams in the world. We traveled to Tijuana and Mexicali.

• Did you know the players on your teams or any that you were playing against?

• Ricky: We met the ones we were training with over the summer. Jeff knew a couple from the year before. We met some guys at the USA Camp. Jeff knew some from different teams ie. Brazil, Russia.

• Jeff: We knew some of the opposing countries who currently play professionally.

• What was your hardest competition throughout?

• Ricky: Brazil in Canada, Russia in Mexico.

• Jeff: Brazil and Russia. Russia is ranked the #1 team in the world and they are huge. They’re entire team gets paid to play professionally. They have a 7’3, 265 lbs opposite. He was also their back up. Their starting opposite is playing for the Russian national team.

• What did you learn that you’re going to bring back to help Loyola win a third natty?

• Ricky: Passion, energy.

• Jeff: Experience and the will to win. Especially for the younger freshman.

Now for the fun stuff…

• What’s your favorite food?

• Jeff: steak medium veggies on the side.

• Ricky: shrimp tempura rolls

• Favorite drink?

• Jeff: Mango lemonade. *insert confused expression on Ricky’s face*

• Ricky: Water

• What’s your favorite movie?

• Ricky: Superbad

• Jeff: Any James Bond movie

• Do you have a favorite TV Show?

• Ricky: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

• Jeff: The Walking Dead or How to Get Away with Murder.

• What’s your cereal of choice?

• Ricky: Lucky Charms

• Jeff: Fruit Loops

• The most important question: What is your Chipotle order…..

• Ricky: Brown rice, double chicken, black beans, veggies, mild salsa, corn salsa, cheese, sometimes guac (if I have a gift card), sour cream, flour tortilla on the side no corn tortillas

• Jeff: Bowl- chicken, black beans, white rice, extra sour cream, lettuce, cheese, no salsa i hate spicy, with chips (big bag).

• Any Volleyball Superstitions?

• Ricky and Jeff: we do a quick workout. “Curls for the Girls”

• Both: we say a prayer. We visualize as a team and we say a prayer

• Jeff: Whenever I’m walking to the court and I see the old basketball court I have to start jogging. When I get off the court and see it going back I start jogging back home.

• Biggest supporter?

• Jeff: Dad. Loudest parent in the gym

• Ricky: Grandma Carol
Hi there! I am currently a sophomore at LUC studying ADV/PR and Psychology. I am a lover of fashion, dance and all things Chicago! "Throw kindness around like confetti"... XO