CC Corner: A Platinum Christmas for HCLUC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

With the semester over, the stockings hung and the snow falling (somewhere), HCLUC’s editors received an early Christmas present this year. Last week, Diana and Shelby were informed that Loyola’s chapter had been upgraded from a bronze level chapter to platinum. This means the group is now in the top 20% of all Her Campus chapters in the world. Merry Christmas, indeed. 

Shelby and Diana when they found out their chapter was Platinum

Shelby: When Diana and I took over Loyola’s Her Campus chapter this summer, we had a lot of goals. We wanted to expand into more multimedia content; we wanted more articles going up; we wanted to increase the number of events our group held; and we wanted to move from a bronze level chapter to silver. Now, just four months after the school year began and seven months since D and I took over, we’ve accomplished all of our goals. But we’re not done yet. 

Our article output has increased by 88% from this time last year and 155% from the end of last semester. Now we have a YouTube channel, a SoundCloud page and a podcast. Our social media handles have exploded (special shoutout to our Instagram manager, Hannah Foster). And we’ve spent a semester doing fun events, partnerships and collaborations. It’s been a true gift, all fall long, to work with the passionate and talented and hilarious members of our team and has only fired us up more for what’s to come this spring. 

This Christmas, I’ve been reflecting on all that I’ve been given, all year long. I’m surrounded by friends who love me and push me to new heights; a family that provides unwavering support all the way from South Dakota; and one of the best girl gangs I’ve ever met, here at HCLUC. Even with the cold temperatures outside, I couldn’t possibly be cold – the love I’ve been given keeps me oh, so warm. 

Diana: I clearly remember the first ‘official’ Her Campus CC meeting that Shelby and I ever held. She came over to my sweltering apartment with her backpack full of journals and well-loved notebooks. We started by mapping out our end goal: to make HCLUC an environment for creativity, self expression and friendship. With all of the endeavors that we had in mind, we knew that we’d have our work cut out for us. 

But we didn’t mind putting in the extra 25+ hours a week, staying up a little later to get those last articles in, or clearing our schedules to host meetings. We knew that all our hard work would be worth it in the end, and receiving Platinum status is just part of that reward. We’ve made some amazing friendships with our wonderful members, and this whole experience has been such a huge part of my senior year of college. I just feel extremely blessed that I get to play a part of this chapter for my final semester of school.

This Christmas feels like a milestone in many ways for me. I’m at a point in my life where all the little insecurities and troubles of life seem to be melting away. I have an amazing family that always supports me, wonderful friends who never fail to supplement my life with love and laughter, and I get to be co-CC of the most uplifting, creative, hilarious and caring girl gang. Thank you for an amazing semester HCLUC, let’s get it Spring 2020.

Sean Wells for Unsplash

For all that’s happened to and for our chapter, we want this spring to be even bigger. Even better. And that means that we want to include any and all who wish to be on our team. It’s never too late to shoot us an email or a DM and ask to get something published. Just email hc.luc@hercampus.com for more information. 

As you celebrate this holiday season, wherever you are and whomever you’re with, we hope you are warm and surrounded by love. 

HCXO  Shelby and Diana 

Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.