CC Corner: Love the Women in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Women who support womyn who support women…the best type of women. 

This Galentine’s day, we’re reflecting extra hard on the types of empowerment we’ve found in college. 

A gif of Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation
Giphy
Shelby: When it comes to supporting and loving the women in my life, I didn’t realize how much more I could be doing until I came to college. It might be a by-product of growing up in a small town (or perhaps it’s just a side effect of growing up in our modern society) but it was always too easy to feel intimidated by other women. Girls were threatening. It was “simpler” to have guy friends. Oh, how wrong I was. 

Don’t get me wrong – the men in my life are amazing. But when it comes to the girls surrounding me, nothing truly compares. It was a several-year long journey to discover that women are stronger when we stand together, and, admittedly, my personal path to self love had a lot to do with this realization. But it was all to discover that it is oh, so sweet, to have women who love you in your corner. 

To my past self, and to whoever might need to hear it: women are not the enemy. Not as coworkers, not as classmates, and not as companions. 

This Galentine’s Day, I’m challenging myself to celebrate all of the beautiful women surrounding me everyday. It takes strength to exist as a woman, and even more so to be a woman of color, an LGBTQIA+ woman, a differently-abled woman, a transgender woman, or anyone else who helps to create the vibrant fabric of our lives. Here’s to you: all of my love and admiration forever. 

Diana: My entire life has been shaped by strong, powerful women. So much of myself comes from these influences, as it wasn’t until the past four years did I finally recognize their impact. 

My friends have given me love and support even when I couldn’t supply myself with that. They never fail to make me smile during my worst days, and celebrate with me during my best. Their arms are always open for late-night breakdowns or mid-day panics. The bond that we’ve created is strong, and I am so thankful to have found these women. 

My sister has always been there for me – 22 years and counting. She’s really showed me everything: from how to shave my legs without knicking myself, to how to get through a breakup. She’s taught me that hard work pays off, that I should never settle for less than I deserve, and that I have the right to love myself. When we laugh together it’s endless and when we fight it’s WW3, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s my partner in crime for life, and I wouldn’t be whole without her. 

Most importantly, my mom. My wonderful, wonderful mother taught me more than I could ever possibly put into words. Compassion, forgiveness, kindness, courage, and, of course, unconditional love. Her nightly bedtime stories began my love for words and books. Her ever-open ear when I would come home from classes, utterly defeated, taught me how to listen and comfort. Her constant smile, even during the most trying of times, taught me grace and gratuity.

T​he way she rushes to come pick me up when I have a 99 degree fever and slight cough, her daily phone calls when we talk about anything and everything, our occasional shopping trips where she spoils us both, and the way she still goes out of her way to take care of my sister and I (even at the ages of 24 and 22) taught me that real-life angels really do exist.

Leslie Knope explaining Galentine's day
Giphy
Here at Loyola’s Her Campus chapter, one of our biggest pushes is to be inclusive to all. That means anyone can write and produce with us and everyone is welcome to our events. You don’t have to be a cis-woman to be part of our gang.  

If​ you’d like to join our team, we accept new members all year round. We’d love to bring you in and support you with everything we’ve got. If you’re interested, please don’t hesitate to email hc.luc@hercampus.com to get in contact with either co-president. 

H​appy Galentine’s day, y’all. We hope your day is filled with as much laughter and love as humanly possible. 

HCXO  Shelby and Diana 

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers. 
Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.