Back to School Survival Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Welcome back to school, Ramblers! We hope you had a spectacular summer and are ready for the fall semester. College really does fly by so make sure you get the best out of your education, but still find time to bond with friends because as everyone says, these are the friends you will keep for life.

Since summer is already over, how do we get back into the swing of things and prepare for the school year? If you need some help, here are some tips that will be sure to get you ready for the semester!

1. Get organized!

Organization is crucial to gaining success in college and pretty much everything else in life. Get yourself a calendar of your choice. Whether it is a cute corgi calendar, a fashion calendar, or a floral calendar, be sure to write all your due dates on it. Also, a planner will be your greatest investment in college and it will save your life if you use it correctly. Use your planner to write down all assignments, test dates, and due dates, so that you can stay organized and on top of your work. Next, make sure you know your class schedule like the back of your hand. Log onto LOCUS and make sure all your classes are correct and make a note of which classrooms and campus (this is important!!!) each class is in. Lastly, create a daily routine that consists of doing homework and studying, but remember to take care of yourself!

1. Manage your time!

College is filled with many great opportunities to express yourself and find yourself. There are many great organizations and clubs on campus, along with different activities. This is where time management comes in. You should learn how to balance your time, so that you have time for not only schoolwork, but for organizations/clubs and for fun. The most important step to balancing your time is to prioritize. Make a list of all the things you want to do and prioritize them by level of urgency and importance. Trust me, time management is a skill that you will need and will not only help you during your four years here at Loyola, but will be useful in the real world as well. Not sure what clubs to join? Hit us up and become a member of the HC LUC team!

1. Regulate your sleeping schedule!

Let’s be honest, summer is full of lots of late nights. However, when it comes to the school year, staying up until 4 AM just won’t cut it. Regulate your sleep schedule and make sure you get at least 6-8 hours of sleep each night. Go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up in time to get ready for your first class. Besides, who doesn’t love sleep? Make sure you get a lot of it and enough of it.

1. Find time to relax and de-stress!

School can be hard for everyone, especially college. Studying is great, but not when it becomes all you do every day. Try to find time to unwind and relax so that you don’t get stressed out. A good stress reliever is exercising! If you’re looking for fun ways to motivate yourself and work out, you can always check out Loyola’s group fitness classes at the Halas Recreation Center. Personally, Zumba is a favorite of mine and helps me have fun while I exercise and keeps me relaxed, happy, and stress free.

These are just a few main ways you can prepare yourself for the school year.

Wow, it’s already Fall 2016?! Fellow seniors, doesn’t time fly by so quickly? To any and all new students, take time to appreciate your first year and the college experience. I hope all these tips help make your college experience as memorable as mine’s been!

Christy is a senior Psychology and Spanish major. She is one of the Campus Correspondent's of Loyola Univeristy Chicago's Her Campus chapter. She basically lives for Zumba classes and corgis. Her passions include promoting domestic violence awareness and mental health awareness and she does so through Alpha Chi Omega and Active Minds!