bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Aroma 101: Tangerine Essential Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

We’re in the thick of the winter season. We’ve survived a polar vortex. It’s cold one day, but then it’s warm again the next (typical, Chicago). It’s cloudy and then it’s sunny. The semester is off to a slow start for many of us and it is all too easy to fall into a gloomy slump. I am a huge advocate for aromatherapy, and citrus essentials oils are widely known for their uplifting benefits. In particular, tangerine essential oil works wonders for fostering a positive mood.

Most tangerine oils are cold-pressed, as the oil is extracted from the fruit’s skin. You may be wondering how a tangerine is different from the traditional orange. Oranges are typically larger and sweeter, while tangerines are smaller and more tart. However, both are zesty and incredibly aromatic (DifferenceBetween.net).

If you need a little pick-me-up in the dead of winter, consider tangerine essential oil by checking out these four great uses!   

1. Light it up! A lot people do not know this, but you can actually add essential oils to candles for a little extra boost. If you have a candle that you like to burn and think that citrus aroma might complement it, rub a drop or two on the wax before you light the wick. Or, just use an unscented candle and let the tangerine oil be the scent! This is a great way to get the smell in the air, especially if you do not have an ultrasonic diffuser.

2. Clean with tangerine. A powerful antiseptic, add some tangerine essential oil to a mixture of water and distilled vinegar for a natural cleaning agent. Tangerine will kill germs and disinfect surfaces, so it’s especially useful in cleaning bathrooms and kitchens.

(https://www.doterra.com/US/en/p/tangerine-oil)

1. Drink up! Certain essential oils are safe for ingestion. doTERRA is one of the main retailers for essential oils and recommends and approves the consumption of tangerine essential oils in beverages and cooking. Essential oils are highly concentrated, so you only need to add one drop to a glass of water. You can also add some of the oil to a smoothie or even into baked goods recipes for that extra kick of flavor.

1. Lay it on thick! If you have read my other essential oil posts, you know that most oils can be added to creams and lotions to soften skin and balance your mood, depending on the scent. Tangerine is especially pleasant in the morning. If you struggle with waking up or getting yourself going for the day, add some oil into your body lotion and simply rub it in your hands and breathe deeply for a few moments.

It’s clear that there are so many ways you can incorporate any essential oil into your routine, but with its uplifting properties, tangerine essential oil is perfect for this time of year. Grab a bottle at your local health foods store or order online and you’ll be feelin’ bright and alert in no time!

Hayley Accola is a senior studying psychology and criminal justice at Loyola University Chicago. Hayley is a self-proclaimed nap queen and a crêpe enthusiast. You can find her watching funny cat videos, eating Nutella straight from the jar, or shopping downtown on any given day of the week. Find her on Instagram @hayleyaccola !
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.