This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

In today’s digital age, there are countless topics and genres of podcasts available. Apple Podcasts estimates that there are over 500,000 active podcasts available in over 100 different languages. The art of talking, telling stories, and weaving music with spoken word has become increasingly popular. But with all of these options, it can be a daunting task to find a new series to dive into. We’re here to provide you with some captivating podcasts to check out, all of which can be found for free on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.

1. The Memory Palace

Hosted by Nate Dimeo, The Memory Palace examines significant historical events through the lens of an intimate moment, person, or place. Dimeo’s podcast offers a compellingly empathetic perspective, carried along by a dream-like score, where he challenges his listeners to leave behind any preconceptions. Whether he’s discussing the working conditions of early-1900s New York City bridge builders, or the failed WWII proposal to weaponize bats with tiny bombs, there are no limits to the topics that are covered. Roman Mars, the host of 99% Invisible, described the show as “Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hysterical, and often a wonderful mix of both.”

2. Lore

In what is now an award winning series, Aaron Mahnke dives deep into the role that history plays in shaping our fears and working into our modern nightmares. Common folklore is retold through the individual perspectives of real-life witnesses as Mahnke asks the question: what are we willing to believe when we are afraid? As both a historical and psychological thriller, Lore shows us how the truth is often scarier than any fictional narrative.

3. Criminal

The first of a few crime-centered podcasts on this list, Criminal stands apart by shying away from simply discussing a who-done-it crime every week. Instead, host Phoebe Judge pulls her listeners into the the gray area surrounding criminal activities. As the show’s description reads, these are “stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged, and/or gotten caught somewhere in the middle.” The podcast covers an array of real-life events, including the story of a news reporter who fell in love with a serial killer, the process of retiring a beloved and dedicated K-9 police dog, and the life of an elderly woman who works as an “exit-guide” for medically-assisted suicides. In every topic that is discussed, the show combines a curiosity about the world of lawbreakers with a refreshing dose of empathy and wit.  

4. The Way I Heard It With Mike Rowe

You might know Mike Rowe from his iconic show, “Dirty Jobs,” but did you know that he also has a killer podcast voice? He puts it to good use in The Way I Heard It, producing tales built in with fascinating twists–all in short, ten minute clips. Harkening back to the iconic storytelling days of Paul Harvey, this show is perfect during a walk across campus, a quick study break, or over a quick bite to eat.

5. Armchair Expert With Dax Shepard

Drawing on his years of sobriety, his degree in anthropology, and his training in improvisation, Dax Shepard chats with his many, many celebrity friends about their successes and setbacks. A surprisingly funny and intimate podcast, this show centers around the vulnerable and messy parts of what it means for us to be human. And, as a delightful treat, each episode is concluded with a “fact-checking” session. Armchair Expert is a charming, witty, and compelling podcast that has become a “can’t-miss” series.

6. My Favorite Murder With Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark

This iconic podcast has been topping the charts since its debut. Each week, hosts Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark blend their comedic chops with the retelling of two murders. While they discuss the events surrounding the crimes, the ladies consistently remind their listeners that politeness isn’t always necessary, especially when it comes to personal safety. For those interested in mystery, crime, comedy, and cats, this podcast brilliantly hits the mark.

7. The Daily

Born out of The New York Times, this podcast covers the biggest headlines in America every weekday morning. Host Michael Barbaro invites some of the top journalists in the world to explain what’s going on in the news, break down the backstories, and bring an extremely human aspect to some of humanity’s largest triumphs and most spectacular failures. With each episode clocking in around 25 minutes long, it’s the perfect show to listen to as you get ready in the morning, so you can start the day feeling refreshed and informed.

8. Small Town Murder

In a sea of true crime podcasts, James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman have created something truly special. Each week, these seasoned comedians dive into a small town’s social norms, economy, and statistics, before looking at a murder that took place there. Often, the wildest host of characters appear throughout their stories, as a small town setting would typically warrant. The blend of natural hilarity, incredibly in-depth research, and utmost respect for the victims churns out a production that keeps listeners coming back week after week.

9. Caliphate

Another podcast produced by The New York Times, Caliphate follows a New York Times terrorism reporter, Rukmini Callimachi, on her journey to understand ISIS and the war on terror. A hauntingly gripping show, this podcast offers a profound and complex look into what a group like ISIS really is, how it recruits members, and what its goals are. A breathtaking, horrifying, and heart-pounding series, Caliphate has left listeners around the world stunned and in awe over a topic normally shrouded in complete secrecy.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers. 
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.