7 Times You Were Jessica Day Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Welcome back, Ramblers! It’s the start of spring semester and as classes starting again, it’s time we reflect on winter break. Have you ever watched a show and realized that you are SO much like one of the characters? I’m pretty sure all of us can relate to Jessica Day from “New Girl” at one time or another during winter break.

1. After a whole semester of eating either dining hall food or sub-par cooked meals, just the sight of seeing actual real food makes you happy. Wait, there’s other food that exists beside the same five options they always have at the dining hall? Meals that are cooked can actually taste good and do not only consist of mac and cheese or pasta? 

2. You realize that there are countless things you can do during your winter break, but then you realize that it’s pretty cold outside and that your bed is so comfortable and you’ve left it long enough. You owe it to your bed to never move from it for at least 2 weeks. So, you try to pick a new show on Netflix to binge-watch, but there are so many…and you spend almost an hour trying to find the perfect show. Netflix and chill? More like Netflix and stress…

3. Being away from roommates means getting to experience what it is like to live in your own space again. You can listen to your music as loud as you want to and headphones are completely optional. Of course, you seize the opportunity to blast “Sorry” by Justin Bieber all day and you even start to use your hairbrush as a microphone and perform a concert in front of the mirror. Ahh, having no responsibilities for a month feels pretty nice.

4. Your family realizes that you’ve been home for a week now, so they ask you to help out with small chores…and by small chores, I mean cleaning the whole house and driving to the grocery store to pick up a “few” things. Just when you thought you didn’t have any responsibilities during break, you find yourself scrambling in Jewel trying to find the particular type of cheese that your mom absolutely needs for the new recipe she’s trying out. Ugh, can’t we just sit in our rooms all day and listen to music alone?

5. People are saying that your winter break is uneventful, which you cannot understand because finishing a whole series of a tv show on Netflix sounds pretty eventful to you. Apparently camping out in your bedroom starts to become a problem because when you finally leave the room, your parents stare at you like you’re some weird alien. Wow, Mom and Dad…subtle. 

6. You’re now halfway through winter break and it finally sinks in that you’ve watched way too many shows on Netflix and haven’t had enough human contact. You start to feel sad and miss all your friends from LUC and realize that having no responsibilities is getting kind of boring. Don’t get me wrong, it was so nice not having to wake up early for classes the first week of break, but after awhile, it got old. No responsibilities means not having a purpose, so you wish for break to end quicker so you can have purpose in life again. 

7. Finally, it’s the last week of break and you’re getting super excited to be reunited with all your favorite people at Loyola. Even though you know that you will be freezing your little butt off while walking to class every day, you still cannot wait to go back to campus because a month without your best friends feels like forever. 

And now we’re all here, getting ready for the spring semester. Being back on campus makes you so happy and you’re ready to slay all your classes while having the time of your life! 

Christy is a senior Psychology and Spanish major. She is one of the Campus Correspondent's of Loyola Univeristy Chicago's Her Campus chapter. She basically lives for Zumba classes and corgis. Her passions include promoting domestic violence awareness and mental health awareness and she does so through Alpha Chi Omega and Active Minds!