felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

6 Dorm-Friendly Plants to Bring to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

It goes without saying that college brings plenty of stress with it. Between academics, jobs, social lives, and what your next meal will be, it can be taxing to balance it all. Investing in a little plant friend is a cheap and effective way to help improve mood, boost health, and increase productivity – all while keeping your space looking as cute as it is fresh.

All of these plants are easy to care for, small enough to fit into a dorm, and can withstand low light (as well as a day or two of forgetting to water them…oops).

If you want something edible…

For a fast-growing plant that can bring some freshness to your next smoothie, cup of tea, or bowl of veggies, mint is the obvious choice. Impress your friends with all your insta-worthy snacks once you sprinkle on some freshly-plucked mint leaves. There are several flavors to choose from including spearmint, which is sweet enough to pick right off the plant and eat plain.

If you want something with healing purposes…

When a small burn happens, be it from a hair curler or a hot plate, it’s incredibly painful. But if you have some aloe handy, all you need to do is snap off a leaf and squeeze the juice out onto the affected area. Besides being a growing first-aid kit, aloe plants are hardy, can withstand lowly-lit dorm rooms, and add a funky shape to any space.

If you want something incredibly low maintenance…

Perhaps the most ‘basic’ entry on this list, the succulent has become the insta-queen’s favorite dorm plant. However, we at Her Campus choose to celebrate said basic-ness for a plant deservedly popular. Its practicality, ease, and superior aesthetics all make it a necessity for any aspiring plant moms out there. So go ahead and stock your window sills, bookshelves, and desktops with these low-water and easy-to-grow friends. 

If you want something to purify your air…

There’s enough ~bad vibes~ to worry about in a college setting without having your living space gross as well. A spider plant is proven to reduce eyes, ears, and throat irritation, lower stress, and increase attention capacity! Best of all, as the leaves grow, baby spiderettes will start to sprout, meaning you suddenly have the perfect present ready for all of your friends’ birthdays.

If you want something versatile…

The ultimate aesthetic plant, pothos are perfect for draping over the top of desks, hanging above a headboard, or resting on a side table. Often touted as one of the most popular houseplants around, they’re incredibly sturdy, a breeze to maintain, and add a lush feeling to any room. And, at incredibly affordable prices, who could say no to this beauty?

If you want something with a pop of color…

For a distinctive and delicate splash of color, look no further than the pink angel fittonia. Rather than blooming flowers only at certain times of the year, the Fittonia maintains its brilliant pink color full-time, for a look that will stick around longer than the average college boyfriend. And, since it doesn’t mind being in low-light areas, it’s great for a dorm!

Being a plant mom doesn’t have to be hard – in fact, it can be a great form of self care. As your year gets hectic, don’t forget to fill your space up with these amazing plants. It’ll not only boost your own mood and productivity, but also make your room the place to be.

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.