5 Healthy Snack Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Whether you’re detoxing from spring break or just looking to get healthier as the weather warms up, the munchies are bound to strike regardless. When it comes to reaching for your favorite snack food (frozen Thin Mints with peanut butter, anyone?) you might be racking up more calories than you’d like to admit. Here’s a list of the best alternative snack foods for when you need a midday boost – but don’t want to drink away your calories with a Venti Mocha-Chip Frappuccino. 

1.Overnight Oats. These get a reputation for being strictly a breakfast food – not true! I make my overnight oats with chia and peanut butter, so they make for a superfood midday snack that is full of energy. 

2. Annie’s Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chip Granola Bars. These are basically a chocolate chip cookie – without all of the guilt. They’re delicious and have enough chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth, without the sugar crash and half of the sugar. Annie’s also has amazing organic macaroni and cheese, if that’s your thing. 

3. Wild Ophelia Peanut Butter Cups. Yes, I wrote peanut butter cups on this list. The Wild O Peanut Butter cups have coconut and chia seed for energy, as well as a healthy dose of peanut butter for protein. The dark chocolate variety gives you just enough sweetness to conquer the craving and move on with your day. They’re also non-GMO and they support female entrepreneurs, #win. 

4. Bob’s Red Mill Dried Tart Cherries. You probably recognize this brand from their adorable commercials with Grandpa Bob. But instead of just making quinoa and chia, Bob’s Red Mill actually makes incredible dried fruits. My favorite is the dried tart cherries, which are sweet enough and tart enough to add a little sweet and savory to your snack. They’re also 140 calories per serving!

5. Fage Greek Yogurt. This one is obvious – there’s an impressive 20 grams of protein in every single container, it’s worth a mention. The regular kind is the best for you, but I’m partial to some of the flavored varieties or the “Flips” that come with fruit or chocolate to mix in. 

Those are my must-haves for healthy snacking! Best of luck, collegiettes, and remember to #TreatYoSelf. 

Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.