Cover Photo of food for article about local breakfast spots
Photo by Kaylee Rome
Life > Experiences

Hidden Breakfast Gems Around LSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me then you are a foodie who loves breakfast and brunch foods. Seriously, I could eat it for every meal. One of my favorite things that I consider a hobby, is finding local restaurants that either specialize in breakfast or brunch. I have put together a list of places near LSU’s campus that are some of my immediate recommendations when someone is looking for a spot.

First up, fork n spoon

Fork N Spoon is my number one and has become my favorite out of all of these and is what I consider a true hidden gem. It is located on Brightside Dr. just five minutes from LSU’s campus and it is affordable! It is a small diner style but when you walk through those doors, you feel like family. Pictured below is their classic melt, on toast with bacon, egg, and cheese. The second picture shows their Berries and Cream French Toast, perfect for my fellow sweet lovers. The french toast features strawberries and blueberries, with maple cream cheese.

One thing to note about this restaurant is they have different menus for weekdays and weekends, so take a look at their menu and plan when you’ll go. This is something everyone needs to try. My next trip will include me trying their new French toast melt!

Photo of food for local breakfast spots article
Photo by Kaylee Rome
Photo by Kaylee Rome

Louie’s cafe

Louie’s Cafe is located on Lake Street, close to Chime’s and Murphy’s. This spot is another one of those southern close-diner feels with a huge menu that offers more than just breakfast foods. One of my favorites from Louie’s is their Eggs Benedict, as pictured below. The food is always fresh and the atmosphere is great as it includes an open kitchen where you can watch them cook as you hang out and wait for your food. People even bring in their laptops and work on homework since it is within walking distance of campus.

Photo by Kaylee Rome

Elsie’s plate and pie

Elsie’s Plate and Pie offers brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and it is something you don’t want to miss. Located on Government Street, Elsie’s is a popular spot so be prepared to wait for a table but I promise it is worth it. For my visit, I got the Eggs Benedict with their grits. Their Eggs Benedict is not your average one, this includes a crab cake instead of your traditional English muffin.

My plan for my next visit is to get either the chicken and biscuits or the crawfish queso omelet. This is one of those places that you have to try whether it is for brunch, lunch, dinner, or even just dessert. Their pies are amazing and perfect for any occasion.

Photo by Kaylee Rome

Leola’s cafe and coffee house

Leola’s is the perfect spot for girl’s brunch which is offered every day of the week. They even have brunch charcuterie boards that are available for preorder. For my visit, I got the “Bobo Bowl” which is a bowl with everything mixed from biscuits, eggs, grits, and bacon. Leola’s also offers a pancake flight to share with the table with the types of pancakes differing seasonally.

Lastly, the vintage

Located on Laurel Street, The Vintage is a coffee shop feel with extra good food. Pictured below shows their beignets that include traditional ones and their fancy beignets that are stuffed with flavors. The picture also shows their breakfast biscuit that was on the best biscuit I have every tasted.

Photo by Kaylee Rome

These are all places you won’t want to miss out on whether you are in town visiting to tour, for a game or an LSU student. No matter what you get, you won’t be disappointed. Take your friends, go to brunch, and have a debrief, it is the perfect way to do it.

I am a junior at LSU majoring in mass communication with a concentration in public relations a minor in leadership development. I am the president and campus correspondent of Her Campus at LSU. I enjoy spending my free time by working out, cooking, and creating social media content.