Untitled design 10png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 10png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Guide to Wines (and My Honest Opinion)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LSU chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is rated L for Legal, that means 21+

Here’s a problem I’ve noticed: as recently legal college women, we do not know what the names of wines mean. Sure, we understand there is a difference between merlot and pinot noir, but what exactly is in these wines is a different story. So, I have decided to make a list of the most popular wines and what exactly we’re dealing with when we get them. I’ll be doing this with the help of my handy-dandy Vivino app (not sponsored, but seriously get it). This list is just a start but hopefully, it can lead you (and me) to the full working knowledge of a world-renowned sommelier.

About my palette: I love dry red wines and buttery white wines, but I will try to remember my sweet wine fans when writing my summaries.

Red Wine: good red wine has a rich flavor profile, but it shouldn’t be overpowering. Think smooth dark chocolate, not Marlboro red.

Pinot Noir: This is the most versatile red wine in my opinion. It is a lighter, more acidic red wine. Translation- it might be better if you’re just getting into red wines. This wine should remind you of raspberries with an earthy mix, without feeling like actual grape juice. Pairs well with poultry, lighter red meat dishes, and strongly flavored fish (like salmon or tuna steak). 

Cabernet Sauvignon: My personal favorite is quite full-bodied. This wine is bold and sometimes can taste almost peppery but smooth. If you are a beginner in red wine, this might not be the best place to start as it could possibly overwhelm. However, if some extra dark chocolate is your jam this is a great wine to expand to. At their best, cabs are an interesting wine to taste and are extra smooth going down. They will pair well with spicier food, stronger poultry dishes, and a steak with cab is undefeated. 

Merlot: These are very similar to cabernets; except they are smoother. The acidity that is present in cabs is not there in a merlot. This wine is very dark, but don’t let that scare you away from this silky, smooth drink. Take those peppery notes in cabernet, make them vanilla and you have merlot. A true go to if you’re binge-watching rom-coms on a rainy day. Any Italian food ever will pair amazingly with a Merlot. 

Malbec: For some reason, this wine feels intimidating, but it should not. This wine can be very flavorful and more fruity than other red wines. If you’ve tried a couple of Pinot Noirs and loved them and want to give more red wines a shot, Malbec is a wonderful next step. Be warned, it is quite bold but just lovely. Malbec can stand up especially well against spicy food because it’s so flavorful!

White Wine: a great white wine is tough to beat in the summer months. It should be light and fruity without being too acidic or sweet.

Chardonnay: This is the most common white wine and can have a multitude of flavors. This wine can go from tasting like melted butter all the way to straight lemon juice. I love my chardonnays toward the buttery side with an oaky flavor and just a bit of zest. I adore good chardonnay, but make sure the one you order fits your taste preferences. Chardonnay will pair well with any fish or veggie-centric meal, air is also a nice complement to this lovely wine.

Pinot Grigio: RHONY fans everywhere rejoice. Pinot Grigio is like the snappy sister of Chardonnay. It’s light as air with a little pop. This can be a good place to start your journey if you want to go from sweeter wines to grown-up wines. Pinot Grigio will pair well with chicken and lighter pasta dishes.

Sauvignon Blanc: A good Sauvignon Blanc can take a meal to the next level; however, a bad one can taste like an atomic lemon so be careful. When done right, Sauvignon Blanc is an aromatic almost herbal wine with a lovely, fruity flavor. Always ask your server, Google, a magic 8-ball, or someone about this wine because it can be a tricky one. Shellfish pairs particularly well with this wine when it’s done right.

(Bonus) Rosé: Battery acid… Just kidding, I know a lot of my girls that like sweet wine adore this variety. Rosés can be pleasant, but I often find them nauseatingly sweet. I encourage anyone starting their wine journey to try a few Rosés as they can be less intimidating than your super dry red.

I also encourage you to maybe try some new things, and hopefully this list can help you!

Just a fan of LSU football, wine, skincare and non-dairy substitutes that's single handedly doing everything. She/Her/Hers
Dominique is a senior at Louisiana State University. She is an active member of her sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., an Associate Justice on the LSU University Court, and Vice President of the LSU NAACP chapter. She enjoys British period dramas, getting manicures, reading the New York Times, and ice cream. She also runs her personal blog, Fearless & Favoured!