Essentials for Mardi Gras
Essentials for Mardi Gras
Photo by Elizabeth White

Eight Essentials For Mardi Gras

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LSU chapter.

Carnival season has started, and Fat Tuesday is just around the corner. Whether heading to New Orleans, Lafayette, or staying in Baton Rouge, you should prepare for anything. Here are eight things that can ensure you have a fun and safe Mardi Gras.

1. Comfortable shoes

Many streets are closed off for the festivities, which means a lot of walking. After you get to the parade route, chances are you will be standing for long periods and, of course, running after floats to catch beads. Therefore, you need to bring some comfortable shoes that may even get a little dirty. Walmart and Target have some great options for cute and cheap tennis shoes to get you through the weekend.

2. Great Outfits

Fashion is all the rage during Carnival season, and anything goes. Some parade-goers love to dress in costume, while others deck themselves in green, purple, and gold. Mardi Gras Rugby shirts are among the most popular, and you can even find them at your local Rouses. You can also check out local boutiques for Mardi Gras-themed pieces covered in sparkles and glitter. 

3. Accessories

From face paint to glitter and jewelry, there are many ways to spice up your Carnival look. Some places sell face glitter you can apply straight out of the package, or you can get creative and make your own with hairspray and loose glitter. Many Louisiana boutiques sell Mardi Gras-themed earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.

4. A reusable water bottle or cup

Glass bottles can be dangerous in a crowd of parade-goers, and using multiple plastic bottles can harm the environment. Stay eco-friendly by bringing something reusable to hold your beverages. Stanley Cups are all the rage, but you can get festive with a Mardi Gras-themed cup.

5. cash

Louisiana is all about the food and culture. You may find food trucks and vendors along some parade routes, so having cash on hand is good, as some places may not accept cards.

6. A portable charger

Depending on where you spend your Mardi Gras, you may be on the parade route for hours. To capture all the memories and stay connected with your fellow parade-goers, bring a fully charged power bank. Here is one of Amazon’s best-selling power banks. 

7. Tissues or Wipes and Hand Sanitizer

While there may be restaurants and stores along parade routes, many charge for their restrooms or close them altogether. Porta-potties will be your go-to throughout the weekend. Therefore, you should pack some wipes and hand sanitizer for when you go to the bathroom, which can easily be found at your local drugstore.

8. A Belt Bag or Fanny Pack

Small bags like this are perfect for carrying the essentials. Whether you style one across your waist or chest, a bag like this will keep your belongings close to your person, preventing pickpocketing. You can go for the traditional Lululemon Belt Bag, which is available for purchase at the LSU’s Barnes and Noble, or look for a fanny pack online or at a local boutique.

I am a senior at LSU majoring in Mass Communication with a concentration in Political Communication and I am double minoring in Sociology and Criminology. I am originally from Louisville, Kentucky, but the past three years at LSU have made Louisiana my second home. At LSU, I am an ambassador for the Manship School of Mass Communication. I have also worked as a News Reporter for LSU Tiger TV and been a Tour Guide for LSU Admissions. More recently, I worked as an Intern Analyst at the Crime Strategies Unit of Baton Rouge. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with my friends whether it's going out to grab dinner or staying in to binge watch our favorite TV shows. One of my favorite pastimes is going to concerts because I love live music. I also love going to the gym and I am a member of LSU Girl Gains, a woman's lifting club on campus.