Watching the Bachelor So You Don’t Have To: Week 5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

This week on the Mattchelor, things got very interesting for the villains of the show, Victoria and Anna, but let’s not jump too far ahead, first I am going to remind you about where we finished off last time.

The mansion was feeling very tense with rumors flying about Brittany from Anna and Victoria, and just general distaste for the new women from all of our OG ladies. Let’s also remember that Katie just came clean to Matt about all of the bullying that was taking place. This week kicked off with a very disappointed Matt talking to the whole group of women about how the bullying and rumors needed to stop between all of them (with a “subtle” close up on Anna’s face). Matt pulls aside Brittany to ask about the rumors, which she denies. Of course, Matt pulls aside Anna to ask about her side. She pretty much owns up to starting all of the rumors but tries to say that she is not that type of person. Matt takes all of that information in stride but says that he cannot allow her to continue. He walks her out to the car and just like that, he has eliminated his first villain. After her departure, all of the OG women have definitely been scared straight and begin apologizing for letting it take place. Some even act like they had no idea that it was taking place. Even Victoria makes her own apology to Catalina for stealing her crown on her first night. Rightly so, the new girls are not really having that, Ryan even throws Victoria under the bus to Matt for her constant remarks and rudeness. Of course, this leads to Victoria attempting to do some of her own damage control but when Matt calls her out, she really does not have anything to say to defend herself. Obviously upset, Matt leaves the cocktail party and signals the start of the rose ceremony. Brittany, Ryan, Rachael, Serena P., Magi, Kit, MJ, Jessenia, Katie, Abigail, Chelsea, and Serena C, Bri, Pieper, and Michelle are all safe this week. This means that Queen Victoria’s reign of terror is finally over. She refuses to hug Matt on her way out and scolds him for listening to the other women’s stories about her (even though they were all true). Hopefully, with the villains out of the mansion, the rest of the women can start with a clean slate.

With the rose ceremony over, it is time to get on with some dates this week. Rachael’s got her very first one-on-one date and boy is she in for a good one. Matt takes her on a shopping spree where she gets to try on mass amounts of designer dresses, while Matt literally just sits and watches her. He then gifts her with actual Louboutins. This was not a very sentimental date, but Rachael got to take home bags of dresses and shoes, so honestly, it’s a win for her.  At dinner, Matt acknowledges how normal and subtle she is, which I’m not sure is a compliment, but she must be doing something right because she goes home with a rose. 

The next date is a group date with all of the women except for Kit (lucky her). These dates keep getting weirder and weirder. Matt takes the women to a farm, where they had to milk goats and harvest eggs. Most of the women seemed to have a good time, but we also had a new villain alert. Of course, the bachelor cannot go for one second without making a woman look bad. MJ tried her hardest to get Matt’s attention on this date but seemed to fail at every farm task given to her. She also appears to have almost no real chemistry with our bachelor. The after-party is a mess as well, with several of the girls bringing up MJ’s attitude to Matt. She is then forced to defend herself as well. MJ and Jessenia go head to head on this group date after she confronts the group to find out who has been talking about her. Jessenia confesses to talking about her and you could cut the tension in the room with a knife.  Luckily, the shining star of the night though is Abigail. She is kind and genuinely concerned about her connection with Matt. He eases her concerns and even gave her the group date rose. 

The next one-on-one date goes to Kit. Lucky for her, the bachelor, or the producers, were listening when she said she loved baking with her mom. There is a cozy little set-up where Kit and Matt were able to bake chocolate chip cookies while getting a sense of what their life together could be like. In all honestly, it was not a very exciting date to watch. The most exciting part is when she told him that she falling for him, and gets rewarded with the date rose. 

In more interesting news though, the episode ends with a date card for Jessenia and MJ. Looks like our first two-on-one and I cannot wait. The ladies start the date by rolling up with their suitcases, because only one of them is going to come out on the other side of this one, and my money is on Jessenia. They get in a big fight about their differences with Jessenia acting calm and cool while being berated by MJ. We don’t find out much more though because the episode ends with Matt walking into the room to start the showdown. I will fill you in next week on a hopefully more exciting episode of the Bachelor.

Maddie Nuxoll

Louisville '20

UofL History Major. Helping you get through school one HerCampus article at a time.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!