Culture > News

Six Films You Need to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Fall is an amazing time to throw on your favorite flannel, curl up in your softest blanket with a cup of warm apple cider, and watch some great movies. This list gives some of the best films you can watch to feel that autumnal mood!

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) The color palette of this film alone screams, “Hello Fall!” Directed by Wes Anderson, this quirky, stop motion film is filled with the director’s classic symmetry and aesthetically pleasing cinematography.

Knives Out (2019) This whodunit film will have you guessing and second-guessing the whole time you’re watching it! With a star-studded cast featuring Chris Evans and Daniel Craig, Knives Out is perfect for those Sherlock Holmes types who love a good murder-mystery.

Dead Poets Society (1989) If you’re looking for a more somber film, this one is perfect for those fall blues. It is also perfect for all of the dark academia lovers who dream of spending their winters in a cabin writing poetry. Get your tissues ready and see one of Robin William’s best performances.

Hocus Pocus (1993) One of the classic Halloween films, Hocus Pocus is great to watch with your group of friends with your spookiest costumes. Get cozy, light some candles, and get ready for that classic Halloween fun!

Matilda (1996) Based on the novel by Roald Dahl, Matilda has all that great childhood wonder. The film follows the story of the young Matilda who has magic, telekinetic powers. Mistreated by her family and attending a school with a terrifying principal, Matilda is comforted by the books she reads at the library. This feel good film is perfect for fall!

Little Women (2019) Based on the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women is a delightful coming of age period drama featuring Saoirse Ronan and Timothée Chalamet and directed by Greta Gerwig. It follows the story of Jo, played by Ronan, and her relationship with her family and local boy Laurie, played by Chalamet. Gerwig’s take on the novel provides a fun, feel good watch for fall!

Happy fall and happy viewing!

Emma Donaghy

Louisville '23

Emma is a history and Spanish major at the University of Louisville. She loves films, politics, trivia, organization, and bullet journaling.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!