This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

*disclaimer* this is a short story, just for laughs!

I was in the beautiful city of Barcelona walking along the river. The air kissed my cheeks with such warmth and coolness simultaneously. The gentle scent of warm pastries and food stalls enveloped my entire being. Julia, my sweet Julia. She had run away from our hotel this morning and it had been hours since I’ve last seen my precious little angel. A man slowly approached me. He could see the frantic look on my heartbroken face as I had spent the majority of the day looking for my lovely Julia. “What does she look like? I could help you look for her.” It took me a second to even mutter a single word. All I could do was blush as I thought about how to describe her. “She is the loveliest thing you will ever lay your eyes on. She has long and luscious brown hair that dances along with the wind. Her dark eyes twinkle under any light source in the area. Her voice serenades your ears with the most heartfelt symphony. She is simply beautiful and that is the best way that I can describe her”. The man told me that I sounded like a very lucky man, and I was. I was truly the luckiest.

My hope rose and fell countlessly. We searched and searched, but to no avail. So many faces faded past the horizon, but none of them belonged to her. Before we knew it, the city had been cast under a dark shadow. Night had fallen, but not as hard as my heart. I was visibly devastated. The man and I exchanged phone numbers just in case. “I’m sorry we couldn’t find her buddy. I’ll be more than happy to help you search tomorrow.” I thanked him and went back to the hotel. I saw the gifts we had just bought before. I saw the slightly larger bed now that she was gone. I saw too many reminders of she who I called my pride and joy. Even the room still smelled just like her. I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks, hydrating my sore eyes and sunburnt cheeks. Why did she run away? We were on vacation and it seemed so perfect. We waltzed along the vastly beautiful beaches. We took long strolls in the serene parks of the city. We visited stunning botanical gardens adorned with plants we couldn’t begin to name. We ate so much amazing food that delighted every sense in our bodies- we were having the best time of our lives. I could not help but scroll though the pictures that we took on our paradise vacation. There were so many. I scrolled all the way back to our wedding photos as I could not help but reminisce the days when she was still in my arms. She looked more stunning than usual. Her smile from that day was unforgettable. I knew I had to find her. I decided to go to bed so that I could be more focused for my search tomorrow.

I woke up and looked across to an empty bed. My darling was still missing somewhere in this massive city. I hurriedly scraped together an outfit and left my room without even eating breakfast. I searched everywhere I thought she’d be. She was not at the beautiful park where we watched the clouds together. She was not at any of the restaurants that we indulged ourselves at. She was not at any of the stores whose bags littered our hotel room floor. She was nowhere to be found and I started to panic. Where was my sweet Julia? I wandered and wandered around the entire city of Barcelona, searching every crevice of the landscape in search of my soulmate for the second time in my life. I realized I was more lost than she could ever be. I needed her. I was nothing without the light of my world. I called the man for help as it got darker and my eyes started to play mind games on me. I was grateful for his help. We walked along the glistening river again and there she was. Every inch of my heart called out for her. “Julia! Julia! My darling.” The man was utterly confused. “Your eyes are playing tricks on you, man. That’s not the Julia you described to me yesterday. That’s just a poor stray dog.” But it wasn’t. I knew it was her as soon as I laid my gaze on my beautiful Julia. How I longed to see her these harsh past two days. “That’s not a dog, that’s my wife.”

Jason Ho

Louisville '22

Hello, my name is Jason. I am studying neuroscience and biology as an undergraduate at the University of Louisville.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!