This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Admit it – romance movies are great any time of year. But, when Valentine’s Day comes around, they’re extra special. And these movies aren’t exclusively for you and a romantic partner – they’re also amazing to watch with yourself or friends, as well. Whether you’re on a budget and are staying in for the night or want a movie to finish off a perfect evening, this list of films will be sure to hold some finalists! 

• 10 Things I Hate About You 

• This movie is a recognizably known cult classic, and for good reason! Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles play the two main characters and end up falling in love, of course. Fun fact – this movie is actually based off of Shakespeare’s Taming of The Shrew.  

• Clueless 

• Another cult classic movie, Clueless, includes Alicia Silverstone and young Paul Rudd in a movie about status, popularity, friendship, and love. While the film has some slightly controversial lines, the overall message adapts well to today’s day and age. 

• When Harry Met Sally

• I can’t believe I almost forgot about this one! 1989 When Harry Met Sally talks about whether two people can truly be platonic friends or not. The film is a rollercoaster of back-and-forth tension that is directed and edited in the best way possible, and this movie has to be on everyone’s watchlist whether it’s Valentine’s Day or not. 

• ​​The Notebook ​

• I still remember the first time I saw this movie. I was twelve, watching it alone in my room while my parents had loud guests over downstairs. I sobbed quietly into my arms when the ending credits rolled. Needless to say, this movie definitely deserves to be on the Valentine’s Day list. 
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

• Jim Carrey stars in a film where his ex-girlfriend opts to completely erase him from her memory – and they must deal with the consequences. This film explores heavier topics like love and loss, and the pain that follows, and this film does it gracefully. 

• Love Actually 

• A beautiful classic that explores nine different relationships and their varying interpretations of love. This one is quite lengthy, so it’s best to be prepared with a bowl of popcorn by your side. 

• Dirty Dancing ​

• Main character Baby goes off to a summer camp where she meets an older dance instructor. Need I say more? 

• Her  

• ​Can love flourish without a physical human body? This film explores that question and much more. Her is set in the future where humans and hyper-smart operating systems coexist together.  
  • Mamma Mia 

• I’ve seen Mamma Mia so many times, but it somehow never gets old. And believe me – it’s even better as an in-person musical! Catchy music and an adorable plotline make this movie deserving of all the fame it has. 

Paige Preston

Louisville '23

I am a Communications major and Social Change minor. I love films, philosophy, traveling, playing my Nintendo Switch, and everything related to animals!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!