???????? Review: A Thrilling Commentary of the Haves & the Have Nots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

The 2019 hit Korean film Parasite received high recognition during this year’s award season, but  the film has just arrived on Hulu. With reviews comparing the film to likes of Jordan Peele’s Us and my recent increase in free time, I decided to give the film a chance with very few expectations. Many were skeptical of the film as it is solely in Korean & must be watched by reading subtitles, but if you can move past that barrier you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Parasite involves many twists & turns that continually had you amazed by both the minds of the characters & the writers of the film. Bong Joon-Ho, director, comments on the effects of classism even in advanced, modern societies like South Korea. Following the tale of the impoverished Kim family, the movie has bits of comedic relief as the family’s scheme to con money out of the much more affluent family, The Parks, begins to unravel. Through developing the characters of both families, you find that despite their class difference both families show signs of greed, self-preservation & intolerance. Thus, Joon-Ho makes it much harder for his audience to decide who to root for.

The film won Best Picture at this year’s Academy Awards, and I believe the designation was well deserved. The plot was fresh, detailed and startling enough to make you want to discuss afterwards. Parasite is a must watch film that doesn’t follow the typical path of social commentaries that force sympathy out of the viewers. The story of the Kim family could just as easily set place in Los Angeles or Chicago, and the movie provokes thought just as much as it entertains.

I am currently a Marketing major at the University of Louisville where I am in the 2019 pledge class of Chi Omega! My passions include baking, watching rom-coms & buying more shoes that I don’t need!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!