Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

I’m Not Even Initiated Yet, but My Sorority has Already Impacted Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Coming to UofL, I knew my college experience would impact me in a lot of ways. I knew I would grow academically, as I progressed through my courses. I knew my identity would mature, turning my undecided major into the right career path. I knew college was going to have a big impact on my life, but what I did not expect was for the people to impact me so much as well.

A few hours before the deadline ended I unsurely submitted my application to participate in fall rush here at UofL. I was nervous considering I had never planned to join a sorority and felt like I did not fit into the stereotypical “sorority girl.” In fact, I only did it because I felt to peer pressure by my closest friends. I stepped in to my first house wondering if I regret my decision, and left my last house wondering how I ever could have imagined my college experience without this. When I opened my card on bid day, I saw the letters that had gone from meaning nothing to so much to me: X Ω.

I never understood the importance of having people there for you, until I moved away from home. Being on a new campus felt like being stranded in a foreign country, and without the people I met in Chi O, I cannot say I would be at the same standing of mental well-being. Whether my heart is filled with excitement or I feel like I’m falling apart in the Ekstrom Library at 4 in the morning, I know I will always have the right people to share those feelings with. Just last week when I was sad, my sister in Chi O bought me black icing off the clearance section to make me feel better, and although it was really disgusting and my teeth are still black, it is gestures like that that show you what sorority life is all about!

Fallon McAllister

Louisville '23

I am currently majoring in Marketing and Management at the University of Louisville where I am a member of the 2019 pledge class for Chi Omega! My hobbies include playing soccer, making earrings, and drinking coffee!