Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Playing Beer Pong
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

How to Survive a Frat Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

We all have to grow and mature throughout our lives, but I think we grow up pretty quickly the second we enter a frat party as a freshman in college. Frat parties meet all the horror stories, hilarious memories, and exhausting moments you would expect. When you are a freshman, you are new to absolutely everything, and the aspect of attending a frat party can be daunting. But don’t worry! I am here to make this experience easier for you to transition into.

Here are some tips and tricks for surviving a fraternity party on a college campus:

1. Enter and leave with the same people. I know you have probably heard this a thousand times, but it is said for a reason. You cannot abandon your friends at a party by themselves, just as they should never abandon you. Build a system of trust with your people, and this will carry on (hopefully) throughout your freshman year experience! You’ll change who you party with many times, I am sure, but the principle is the same: enter and leave with the same people.

2. Before you head to the party, make sure you have a plan of how you are getting home, whether that be walking back with a group of friends or relying on a safe, sober driver. I have heard far too many stories, even from some of my friends, of girls walking home alone from a party because they forgot to make plans on how to get back. Most fraternities (I am speaking from the ones I know!) offer a Designated Driver service for those who attend the parties, so if you need to utilize it, then by all means do! Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help. It’s safer than walking alone!

3. Do ​not ​embarrass yourself in the first go. That being said, most people do. Just be cautious of what you consume and how much you are consuming. Never bring a drink with an open lid, and never take drinks from someone you don’t know. Know your limits, and know the respect you have for yourself. Maintain a good reputation!

4. Hydrate. You will thank yourself later.

5. Dressing for comfort is far better than dressing for style, in my opinion. Most frat houses can get your shoes pretty dirty if you’re outside, or even inside. Plus, you won’t want to wear that $100 Free People top you just bought because it will most likely get ruined by the end of the night. Trust me, dressing comfortably is the move.

6. Keep track of your friends and your surroundings. It can be very easy to get lost and overwhelmed at a frat party! Don’t be afraid to go talk to new people, but don’t lost track of the people you came with.

With all of that being said, do not be nervous! Branch outside of your comfort zone a little bit, talk to new people, make some new friends, and have a good time. College encourages new experiences, and you’re figuring yourself out day by day. Don’t be afraid to mess up, because everyone does at some point. Now that you’re prepared, get your girl gang, and enjoy/survive that frat party!!

Ava Paszkiewicz

Louisville '23

xx.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!