Anna Schultz-Girl Holding Solo Cup
Anna Schultz-Girl Holding Solo Cup
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

How to Survive College Parties Sober

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

There are many reasons why people want to refrain from drinking, but does this mean you can’t go to events where drinking is common, or even encouraged?  Being sober while attending college tailgates and parties can be a very interesting experience. Most people around you definitely aren’t sober, and it can be difficult to know what to do. Well, if you ever wanted to go to a party or tailgate but didn’t want to drink, I’m going to teach you how to survive college parties and tailgates completely sober.

1. Stay hydrated

In my personal experience, I have found that most parties don’t just have non-alcoholic beverages lying around. If you are going to go out for a long time, it would be a good idea to bring a drink for yourself. Tailgates make it especially difficult to find something to drink, so make sure you come prepared with your own drink or bring money to purchase one inside the stadium during the game. It can be hot during long hours outside, and not having something to drink can be dangerous, so stay safe by bringing a water with you. This way, you can stay hydrated throughout the day without worrying about searching for something non-alcoholic to drink. 

2. Take friends

If you really don’t want to drink at these kinds of events, make sure you have good friends with you. People who won’t pressure you, and who know that you would prefer not to drink, will make parties and tailgates much more enjoyable to be at. Being by yourself while sober can be very uncomfortable, especially if everyone else is not, so have good friends by your side who you are comfortable with. I have been lucky to find a good group to go to these things with, who will make sure I don’t feel left out even while not partaking in drinking. This can make a big difference in whether or not you will have a good time. 

3. Grab a drink…and then don’t drink it

If you really don’t want to keep turning down drinks because you’re empty handed, just go grab  a drink but don’t drink it. By holding a drink, no one will try and offer you one, but you don’t really have to drink any of it. This way you don’t have to explain to people why you aren’t drinking and you don’t have to continuously turn down alcoholic beverages. 

4. Have fun

Tailgates and parties are intended for you to have a good time! Staying sober can be difficult especially when everyone around you isn’t. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, or you won’t be able to have fun. So make sure that even while sober you are still enjoying yourself. 

Maddie Nuxoll

Louisville '20

UofL History Major. Helping you get through school one HerCampus article at a time.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!