Candy Canes
Candy Canes
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

How to Make the Most of the Holidays Despite COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Against everyone’s wishes, the COVID-19 pandemic has dragged on long enough to seriously disrupt the holiday season. Whether you’re planning on heading home for the holidays or sitting this season out, there are tons of tips and tricks to keep in mind to make the next month or so safe and enjoyable.

Be Smart if Traveling This one should go without saying, but if you are planning on heading home for the holidays it’s important to stay vigilant, especially if you’re planning on traveling back and forth between homes or cities in the next couple of months. Make sure to follow all of the CDC’s recommendations, and have a plan in place for what you will do should you get sick. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get tested before you head home and before you head back either, just to make sure you’re not unknowingly putting anyone at risk.

Don’t Be Afraid to Decorate Are you someone who has the urge to put up your Christmas tree before Halloween? If there was ever a year to do the most with the decorations, it would have to be this one. If covering everything you own with string lights and paper snowflakes would make you happier and feel more in the holiday spirit, by all means, go ahead. For those opting to spend this holiday season alone or with fewer friends or family than they would normally, some bright and shiny scenery can help make a home feel a little fuller and less dreary.

Adapt Your Traditions At this point, the phrase “new normal” has been pretty much run into the ground, but it’s true that especially for those used to giant family gatherings, the next month or so might feel far from normal. One way to help combat this is to find ways for your family to still experience the traditions that you’re used to in slightly different ways. For traditions like watching each other open presents, taking the extra steps to mail gifts ahead of time to open over FaceTime or Zoom can go a long way in having a sense of normalcy. If your family loves to curl up watching holiday movies together, suggest a Netflix, Disney Plus, or Hulu Teleparty. With a little brainstorming, you might find that many of your favorite traditions can still take place in some form this year, even if they may have to look a little different. You may even find some new traditions along the way!

Remember That This Too Shall Pass One of the most important things to keep in mind is that this will likely be the only holiday season you will have to go through before the threat of COVID-19 subsides. While it’s completely normal to be bummed out that you won’t be having all of the holiday experiences that you’re used to, it’s important to remember that eventually, things will be much closer to the normal that you’re used to. In the meantime, look for ways to be grateful for the celebrations you can have and the people in your life that have made this time of year so special for you in years past.

Callie is a sophomore majoring in Communication and Psychology at the University of Louisville.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!