The Lalastalk Of Books And Glasses
The Lalastalk Of Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Everyone finds their place in college, their one thing or place that defines them. Some connect to a club, others find comfort in the safety of their dorm. For me, my special place is the Univeristy of Louisville’s library, Ekstrom Library. Without a place like this to support me and my unnatural sleeping patterns, I would be lost. 

If there was an award for procrastination, I would most likely receive it. It is impossible for me to just sit down and do my work because I would much rather talk to my friends or find anything else to do. As a result, I normally will not start being productive until around midnight. 

My life changed for the better once I found out where the part of the library was that is open 24 hours, the second floor. Now there is no chance of me waking up my roommate to my aggressive typing at 3 AM or my friend finding me in the Kurz third floor study room in the same position as the night before as he leaves for his 8 AM class. Instead, I simply stay at Ekstrom. 

Due to the majority of my nights spent at the library, I have found all of the best spots to take a power nap. This means that I really have no reason to go to my dorm at night. At this point, I can not really consider my dorm my home because I am only there to shower and change. 

The effect of “moving” into my campus library is that I have gotten little to no sleep, but that just means that I have so much time to perfect my work and study as hard as I can. In high school I had a similar sleep schedule so sleep deprivation is practically normal for me. Due to the fact that I have so much time to do my work and study, I have seen an increase in my grades as well. While I would not recommend this to others and have not actually moved into the library, it has been a major part of my college experience thus far.

Fallon McAllister

Louisville '23

I am currently majoring in Marketing and Management at the University of Louisville where I am a member of the 2019 pledge class for Chi Omega! My hobbies include playing soccer, making earrings, and drinking coffee!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!