This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

You just finished a long day of classes, your eyelids are practically falling already, and all you want to do is sleep. And you probably would, if it weren’t for those two papers due tomorrow and that Psych exam coming up. It may seem like a good compromise to snuggle up with your Psych 201 book under a fortress of blankets and pillows, but it’s actually one of the worst things you can do for yourself.

1. Get outside your dorm!

Research has shown that mixing sleep and study in the same location—your bed—you’re actually sending mixed signals to your brain. It can’t decide which to focus on, and as a result, your studying is less effective and you have a harder time falling asleep at night.

Designate a location (or several) as your campus study spot. Maybe it’s the library, maybe it’s a coffee shop—whatever works for you. Force yourself to get your work done there instead of your dorm; it’ll help eliminate distractions, increase productivity, and reduce insomnia. You’ll thank yourself later.

2. Keep a journal.

No, it doesn’t have to be a whole “Dear Diary” ordeal each night, just a few minutes at the end of the day to reflect on how you’ve been making use of your time.

My personal favorite is an app called Daylio—it’s free, and it doesn’t take more than a minute to log what you did for the day, your mood, and any quick (optional) reflections.

Studies have proven that journaling increases awareness of the choices you make each day and how they impact you, so doing this can actually help you figure out where your time-management skills are lacking so you can take that next step and fix it.

3. Take ~healthy~ study breaks.

While it might sound like cramming for an exam by studying seven hours straight the day before is the most productive way to go, it’s definitely not. Studies show, you’ll actually retain more information if you take 15-20 minute breaks every 90 minutes or so. Try to set timers to keep yourself on track.

This is not a license to nap, snack on junk food, eat huge meals, or watch Netflix (we’re getting there, I promise). These activities will make you feel more lethargic and less likely to continue studying after your 15-minute timer goes off. Instead, consider phoning a friend, hopping in the shower, doing something creative, or cooking a healthy meal—all of these things are low-thought level, and they’re much easier to transition back into studying when you’re done.

4. Reward yourself with your favorite show.

Finally! You’ve planned your time out well, left the comfort of your dorm, reflected on your habits, and taken some healthy breaks along the way. You care about your studies, now it’s time to treat yourself!

This sort of reward-system can actually be beneficial; it reinforces study behavior because you know you’re going to treat yourself to something fun when you’re all finished for the day, and it makes it more likely that you’re going to study again. Without any rewards, you may run the risk of feeling burnt out and resentful, which may decrease your likelihood of studying productively in the future.

So now it’s time to walk back to your dorm, cozy up in your PJ’s, and find out what happens in the rest of that Grey’s Anatomy episode.

Olivia Ossege

Louisville '23

Olivia Ossege is sophomore at the University of Louisville and is majoring in psychology pre-med with a minor in creative writing. She grew up in Alexandria (Northern Kentucky) and has one little brother. She has worked at a daycare as a two-year-old teacher for almost four summers now, and she is involved on campus as part of Louisville's Guaranteed Entrance to Medical School (GEMS) program, The White Squirrel Magazine, and Chi Omega sorority. Olivia makes digital art to sell on Redbubble.com during her free time, and is working on a novel. She has plans of one day working in pediatric medicine, but writing and art will always have a special place in her heart.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!